- Holidays and Celebrations»
Free Patterns for Christmas Stockings
Creating Homemade Christmas Stockings
Christmas decorating isn't complete until the Christmas stockings are hung out for Santa to fill. There are many reasons to make your own instead of purchasing them:
- You can make them exactly how big (or small, wide, or narrow) you want them
- They can be personalized for each member of the family
- They can be made in fun shapes
- The fabrics can follow the theme and color of a new decorating scheme
- And most of all: it gives people who sew a chance to use up some of the fabric and sewing/crafting/needlepoint/yarn stash that has accumulated in the sewing or craft room (or a chance to purchase more).
If you are looking for decorating patterns for making Christmas stockings, here are my favorites. They are grouped together, so choose a style in knit, crochet or sewing to make your own stockings, or a stocking to give to someone else if you are playing secret Santa this year. Also, fun free Christmas needlepoint designs can be attached to any plain purchased or simple homemade Christmas stocking to make it more festive.
Free Sewing Christmas Stocking Patterns
- Fun Candy Cane Design Christmas Stocking
This fun Christmas stocking has a curled up toe and candy canes sewn on it.
- Western-Style Cowboy Boot Stocking
Make a cowboy boot this Christmas for all the cowboys and cowgirls in the family.
- Make a Jolly Jester Christmas Stocking with Fleece
Fun pattern with an upturned toe pattern.
- His and Her Scrappy Christmas Stockings
How to make a his-and-hers pair of Christmas stockings, using up scraps of fabric.
- Free Pattern and Directions to Sew a Christmas Stocking
How to sew a traditional Santa's stocking, in white and red.
Free Knitted Christmas Stocking Patterns
- From the Heart Knitted Stocking
Stocking with hearts and flowers knitted in the design.
- Simple Striped Knitted Stocking
This two-color striped Christmas stocking is a quick project on size 9 US knitting needles.
- Striped Knit Stocking
How to make a multi-striped knit Christmas stocking.
- Pattern for a "JOHN" Stocking
Complex knitted pattern for a "John" stocking (the name JOHN is knitted in the pattern).
- Basic Knit Sock Pattern with a Bow
How to make a knitted Christmas stocking, with a satin bow at the top.
Free Crochet Christmas Stocking Patterns
- Granny Squares Christmas Stocking
Free granny square stocking pattern to make and hang up for Christmas.
- Crochet Holly Stocking
Festive holly design on a red and green holiday Christmas stocking.
- Christmas Stocking with Two Small Pockets
Santa can hide small trinkets inside two small pockets that are crocheted on the front of the stocking.
- White Lace Design Crochet Stocking
Crochet Christmas stocking done in crochet to resemble white lace.
- Fun Snowman Stocking
Snowman stocking with stripes and snowflakes crocheted in the design.
Add Christmas Cheer with a Cross Stitch or Needlepoint Pattern
Free Christmas Needlepoint or Cross Stitch Patterns
- 69 Different Cross Stitch Christmas Patterns
Many different holiday patterns to choose from.
- 20 Different Free Angel and Christmas Designs
Many different holiday designs to choose from, 16 of which are pretty angels in different styles.
- Advanced Saint Nicolas Design Pattern
Skill Level: Intermediate. There are many stories of the 4th century Saint Nicholas, a Russian bishop, and patron saint of children.
- Christmas Cardinal Design
Crossed Wing Collection specializes in realistic and finely-detailed cross stitch patterns of birds. This one is of a Christmas cardinal.
- Angel Cross Stitch Pattern
This pretty cross stitch pattern would make a perfect gift. Whether you make a framed cross stitch or turn it into a pillow, or find some other creative use, your recipient will love it.
- JOY Christmas Pattern
Sew this JOY holiday pattern on any Christmas stocking using fun holiday colors or a metallic thread.
- Holiday Cross Stitch Penguin
Try this cute King penguin with his gift of gold for the baby.
- PDF Pudding Ball Pattern
Christmas pudding ball PDF file, with instructions.
- Free Snowflake Design
Cross stitch design for a snowflake.