Fun Things to do to Celebrate Mom
A Day Just for Mom
It's All About Mama
Mother's Day is fast approaching. Have you already made plans to make this Mother's Day special for Mom? If you still need some ideas, here are some suggestions to consider:
Is Mom aching...literally, to have a relaxing day to soothe her tired body? You can't go wrong with giving her a day of pampering and TLC. Make her an appointment for the spa where she can have a full body massage, facial, manicure or pedicure. Maybe she's been wanting to give her hair some extra treatment or a new change. There's usually specials and discounted packages for Mother's Day so check out your local spa or salon for these services. You can even prepare a home spa if Mom would rather stay in. Arrange a room to relax in and light some aromatic candles, have a bubble bath ready, some bath oils, foot scrubs and whatever else she needs to make it as relaxing as possible. Offer to give her a massage.
Take Mom shopping. Retail therapy is something many women enjoy so if that's the way to your Mom's heart then take her to her favorite store or buy her some gift cards and let her have a shopping spree. Some malls like Simon malls participate in National Mom's Nite Out during the week before Mother's Day. Check your local mall if it offers one.
Mother's Day, the Perfect Time to Give Mom Floral or Candy Bouquets
Satisfy Mom's Sweet Tooth
Does Mom have a sweet tooth? Make her some treats like chocolate-covered strawberries or chocolate-covered popcorn. Place it all in a nice package or a home-made package. Bake a cake, cupcakes or cake pops (cute cakes on a stick, the growing trend nowadays) using her favorite flavor. Make her a candy bouquet with her favorite candy and candy bars. A pot of lollipops is also a cute idea.
Of course, if you're not one for baking or would rather buy these sweet treats, that's perfectly fine! Maybe she's a fan of fruit baskets; companies like Edible Arrangements delivers delicious, creative baskets right to your door or you can pick it up yourself. They also offer chocolate-covered strawberries.
Bake Treats for Mom
Check out My Blondies Recipe
- How to Make White Chocolate and Butterscotch Blondies and Cookies
Blondies are a delicious, versatile treat that anyone can make to suit his or her personal taste preference. They can even be baked into cookies using the same recipe!
Jewelry Gifts for Mom
Is Mom Adventurous or Looking for New Experiences?
Is Mom craving more fun, something new to try or a little more adventure than a spa or shopping? For a really fun or adventurous Mother's Day gift, consider these experiences to give Mom:
- Hot air balloon ride
- Horseback riding on the beach or where ever it is located in your area.
- Helicopter ride
- Make a whole weekend out of it and go camping or go on an out of town trip
If you're near or in the Orlando area, Thompson Aire is a great hot air balloon experience if you've never been. That's the one we chose for our honeymoon in 2007 and it was unforgettable. Research the ones in your area to see what's best for Mom if she's interested in this experience.
If you are near the St.Augustine area, then that city already has so many wonderful experiences to offer for Mom. They have the helicopter ride and sailing available which we took advantage of while we stayed there for part of our honeymoon.
A Cute Gift from a Child for Mom
Is She an Artsy Mom or Does She Appreciate the Arts?
Maybe Mom is someone who appreciates art whether she's an artist or not. An interesting idea that may or may not be available in your area is a painting session while sipping on some wine and having snacks. The ones near my area don't have available sessions on actual Mother's Day but they are open Monday through Friday and the Saturday before Mother's Day if you can still reserve a spot. It's a great way to let Mom relieve stress through art while socializing and enjoying some wine or other beverages and food.
The beauty in these sessions is that anyone can come and paint with or without artistic ability. Also, she can bring you along or have some of her friends join her. Check out the websites below for more information.
Celebrate Mother's Day with the Kids
Children are an essential part of Mother's Day because let's face it, without them, who would call her Mom? Several moms still would like to celebrate their special day with the ones who made it special for her in the first place, her children. If the kids are still young then there's plenty to do as a family on her special day:
- Visit the zoo. Check your local zoo's website before going because they may offer discounted or free admission for moms on Mother's Day. If you're in the Jacksonville area, there's a coupon on the zoo's website (check the link below) that offers moms free admission. They will also be holding a Mother's Day Brunch.
- Take the family on a garden/nature walk. Although it's not on Mother's Day weekend but it's still sounds like something interesting to attend, Saturday, May 18th at the Jacksonville Zoo, they will be having their first annul Garden Festival and Plant Sale. There will be food trucks, children's crafts/activities and beer. Check out the link below for the details. In the meantime, this weekend, you can still take her to the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens (if this is near to you) and just enjoy the day with the animals and gardens they offer. Taking Mom on a walk through a garden is a great idea if you want her to enjoy more than just a bouquet of flowers. Let her experience a garden full of them. A beautiful one to visit is at Cummer Museum Arts and Gardens in Jacksonville, FL if you're located around this city.
- Visit the local aquarium
- Spend the day at the beach
- Take Mom out to her favorite restaurant or one that she's been wanting to try
- Have a picnic at the park and while you're enjoying the scenery, take some pictures while you're there. You can never have too many and Mom will appreciate it.
- Go to the movies or rent a movie and enjoy it with snacks or treats at home
Involve the kids in celebrating Mom:
- Ask them to help make breakfast in bed for Mom
- Read Mom a story at bed time
- Massage Mom's shoulders
- Give them chores to do for the day if they don't normally do chores
- Help them make homemade gifts or arts/crafts for Mom
- They can help cook or bake Mom's favorite dish or dessert
Music Box Gift for Mom
Spend Time with Fellow Moms or Friends
Maybe Mom rarely gets time with her friends or fellow moms...arrange a girl's night out or a Mother's Day Brunch with other moms. A couple times on Mother's Day, that's just what we did. We all had a little party at someone's house for brunch. One time, it was a barbecue. It was a nice get together especially since we rarely all see each other.
Mother's Day isn't about the material gifts but possessing the most important gift, love. Take her on a wild adventure, let her go out with friends or let her have some peace and quiet at home. Whatever you decide to do for her, as long as Mom feels loved and knows for certain she is appreciated every day (not just Mother's Day), then you will have accomplished your mission in giving her a heart-warming celebration.
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!
How do you like to celebrate Mother's Day? Share your ideas or plans in the comments below!
Check out some of my other articles:
- Simple and Creative Eco-Friendly Tips to Go Green In and Out of the Home
Being green helps save our planet and is a great way to live a more frugal lifestyle. This article shows you creative and easy ways to go green with these simple tips.
For those near Jacksonvill, FL, here's some dining suggestions:
- B is for...: Bring on the Food for Mom
Suggestions/Tips for places to dine this Mother's Day weekend and sites where you can grab some discounted certificates and deals for Mom to eat free.