Gift Cards Make Great Gifts
Gift cards make great gifts for anyone of any age. A gift card can be given alone, in one of the fancy boxes or envelopes they have available now, or can even spruce up a gift basket or a bouquet of flowers! Think about all of the places he/she loves to go. Pay particular attention to the places maybe he/she would like to go, but hasn't gone to, or the places they never seem to get around going to enough. It is much more fun if the gift card makes them feel pampered or extravagant. That's feeling is worth more than the price of the gift card.
Kids love gift cards because it makes them feel grown-up, like they're using a credit card. Teenagers love them because they know they can buy something they really like rather than something you pick out.
Top Reasons to Consider Buying a Gift Card
These are the top reasons you may want to consider giving that hard-to-buy-for person on your list a gift card:
- Gift cards come in a variety of designs making it pretty easy to find one for your specific situation
- Gift cards can be purchased for just about any well-known chain of department stores, coffee shops, sporting goods stores, bookstores, etc.
- Gift cards can be purchased for various denominations suitable for any budget
- Gift cards are inexpensive to mail out of town
- Gift cards don't require expensive boxes, wrapping, and bows
- Gift cards are the next best thing to cash
- The CoinStar machines allow you to redeem your entire transaction amount if you purchase gift cards whereas you are charged a fee if you redeem your loose change for cash.
- Gift cards to restaurants are great ideas for couples who like to eat out a lot. It means not having to carry cash.
- It's a great way to introduce someone to a store you feel they may like but may not have ever tried.
- The Visa and Mastercard gift cards make great gifts for people who do not have credit cards. It allows them to make purchases for gasoline at the pump or for buying items online where they otherwise would not be able to.
- Many of the cards can be topped off with more money by the recipient or someone else making this item an ongoing convenience for them.
Top Things to Consider
You may want to consider the following if you've decided to buy someone a gift card.
- Make sure you know if there is an expiration on the card. A few people have been caught out on this one. Gift certificates are the same way.
- Are you positive the person you're buying it for shops at the store you've chosen a gift card from? You don't want to necessarily buy a card to somewhere they have no interest in going. Giving a someone a card to Starbucks if they don't drink coffee can be awkward. However, they do sell other items too.
- Remember that the denomination of your gift may sometimes require the recipient to put money with it in order to buy something. It can sometimes be difficult to find something in the amount you have given if they don't have the money to put with it.
- Losing a card is like losing cash, there is a level of responsibility in having one.