- Holidays and Celebrations»
Homemade Felted or Fabric Christmas Letter Ornaments
Supplies you will need:
1) plain paper to make Letter patterns ( copy paper, brown paper bag, etc.)
2) Optional - Letter Stencils from Craft Store or craft area of Department store.
3) Felt or Fabric scraps at least 6" high by 5" wide.
4) White Quilt batting 7" by 6" - I used Polyester batting.
5) Thread - to match or coordinate with Felt / Fabric colors.
6) Cording or Ribbon - 6 1/2" for letters A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I, J, L, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T and Z. 8 1/2" for letters H, K, M, U, V, W, X and Y.
7) Optional - Glitter Glue - to match or coordinate with Felt / Fabric colors.
sample Letter and batting pattern
Pattern and instructions:
For each Letter you want to create, make your own pattern on the paper. Cut these out.
Place on the felt or fabric. You can pin the pattern to the felt or fabric to cut out or you can trace the pattern onto the felt or fabric and then cut out.
Cut out 2 of each letter. If using patterned fabric make sure the front and back of the letter shows the right side of the fabric.
You might want to use Pinking shears to cut out the letters if the fabric is the kind that ravels. Or you can cut out with regular shears / scissors and then zig-zag stitch the edges on a sewing machine.
Sandwich the batting between the 2 letters and stitch by hand or machine around all the cut the edges of the letters.
Leaving at least 1/8" of batting, trim the batting around all the edges of the letters.
Attach the ends of the cording to the tops of the letters. (see the photos of our Letter ornaments).
Optional - on the front of the letters decorate with the Glitter Glue. It makes them sparkle when the Christmas tree lights shine on them.