- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Kids Valentine's Day Craft - A Love Bug Photo Holder
Love Bug Photo Holder For Valentine's Day
Create an Adorable Love Bug Tabletop Photo Holder
If you are looking for a fun craft for your kids, one that also makes a great gift idea on Valentine's Day, take a look at this Love Bug Photo Holder. It doesn't matter if you are on a tight budget or if you just want to find a fun and easy craft idea for your kids, this photo holder is perfect. Just read down this page and look at the picture to learn how to make this special gift for that special someone you love.
I always enjoy getting photos of my kids and grandkids. They are printed memories that keep bringing back good times, you know what I mean Mom. For example when you look at your children's old school photos, doesn't it bring those younger days to mind? This photo holder can become a cherished momento for a mom or a grandmom.
With today's digital technology we don't always have copies of photographs like we used to. We can look up our pictures online or in our phone's gallery, but I like to have real pictures all around my home, and this Love Bug photo holder is perfect for the month of February. This is a sweet idea, whether you are the one making it or receiving it..
This kids craft idea uses simple materials and these simple materials make a wonderful gift. So, read on, gather the supplies you need and look at the pictures so you know exactly how to teach this craft project to your kids.
Gather All Your Craft Supplies
Step 1. So let's begin. A word of advice, gather all your supplies before you actually start to make your project. This way you will be sure to have everything you need to complete this photo holder. Here is a list of supplies you will need to make this super cute Valentine's craft:
- A clean yogurt cup
- Pink, red, and black construction board
- 2 Pcs. purple pipe cleaners
- A ruler to measure the pipe cleaners - you need 1.2 inch pieces
- Red acrylic paint
- A paint brush
- A black Sharpie or any black permanent marker
- 3 Red paper clips
- 1.5-cm in width of pink grosgrain ribbon with a heart design(grosgrain ribbon is a ribbed ribbon)
- An awl hole crafting tool
- A pair of scissors
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks (don't let kids handle the hot glue gun. The glue is very hot.)
- Small photographs - at least 3 different ones
Step By Step Love Bug Photo Holder Tutorial
2. Paint the outside walls of your yogurt cup with the red acrylic paint. Let the paint dry for one hour. If it needs it, give the yogurt cup a second coat of paint.
3. Take your red construction paper and cut out 3 medium sized heart shapes. Look at the pictures to see the look and size we are going for. These red hearts are going to be the bug's wings.
4. Take the black construction paper and cut 3 medium sized oblong shapes. Again, check the pictures I've posted to see the approximate size of these oblong shapes. They are going to be the bug's heads.
5. Take the pink construction paper and cut out 3 medium sized pink circles. These circles are going to be the abdomen of your bugs.
6. Now glue the head (the black oblong shapes) onto the tip of your heart shaped wings. The pictures will show you exactly where they should go. Repeat this step until you have at least 3 completed.
7. Glue your pink circle on to the rear of the bugs wings...it should be at the opposite side of the bug's head.
8. Now for the details on the Love Bugs face. Make some cutouts from the pink construction paper to make eyes, lips, and even dimples. You can add more details on the wings with the permanent markers.
9. Take 1 of the purple pipe cleaner and cut 3 pieces that measure 1.2 inches each. The pipe cleaners are going to be the bugs antenna.
10. Curl one end of your pipe cleaners and glue 2 antenna on the head of the bug. Put the glue on the back of the bugs head so you don't see it from the front.
11. Next take a red paper clip and hot glue it behind the top of the antenna at the top. It should be between the two antenna. Look at the picture. Glue it to the back so you cannot see the glue from the front.
12. Take the other purple pipe cleaner and cut it into 3 pieces, each one bigger than the other. They should be 2 inches, 2.4 inches, and 3.5 inches long. Glue the pipe cleaner onto the tummy of the bug...but on the back of the bug. This pipe cleaner is going to be the stem of the Love Bug photo holder.
13. Make 3 holes on the bottom of the yogurt cup using the awl.
14. Put the Love Bugs on the holes of your yogurt cup. Check the picture to see if you are doing it correctly.
15. Make a bow from the heart patterned pink grosgrain ribbon and glue it to the front of the base of your cup. Put it right in the middle.
16. Now it's time to insert your photos through the red clips you put on the back of the Love Bug.
17. Tada! (I love typing that word. It's what my Granddaughter says when she has finished something and everytime I type it, I can hear her saying it!) Your Love Bug Photo Holder should be complete and ready to give as a gift, or to be put in a place of honor in your home where everyone will see it.
Your Finished Love Bug Photo Holder For Valentine's Day
This cute little Love Bug will sit nicely on a table or counter where you can look at your sweethearts picture every day. This kids craft is a gift that will continue to give - it will thrill the recipient every time they see it. That's what love is all about...that special feeling you get when you see someone (or their picture). Pick some pictures that will really thrill the person this gift is for.