- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Gifts & Gift-Giving»
- Personalized Gifts
How to Prepare Native Jollof Rice (African Recipe) for a Romantic Valentine
Christmas and New Year season and celebration has just ended, and season of LOVE is around the corner. A romantic season! Valentine offers a great opportunity; to celebrate our marriages and relationships, to find new loves and to show our families love and care. The challenge is how to make it a romantic event.
Which Food will make this Valentine a Memorable one?
After the days’ work we go out for a drink or ice cream with our love ones. On Sundays we go to beaches and amusement parks or other recreation centers and come back to watch football matches for football fans. In the office we eat fast foods and burgers. What do we do to make this valentine a memorable and romantic one that will be different from these daily and weekly activities? Would you like to make him or her fall in love or remain in love with you? Then surprise him or her with something different. I suggest native foods. We all like local foods because it has become a luxury. Not everybody can prepare it. As I was thinking of how to package this valentine, something came to my mind. I remembered Chris and his girlfriend. Yes, I saw them last month and they were so much in love with each other; I have not seen them like this before. I wondered why but I remembered Chris telling me how he prepared native plantain porridge with roasted fish and fresh tomatoes for his girlfriend on her last birthday. Could that be the reason for this so much love? Your guess is as good as mine. It’s been long time I eat native plantain porridge, so should I go for it this valentine? No! What works for Chris might not work for me, though I must go local. Yes I remembered Native Jollof Rice. My mom used to prepare it for us and it’s such a delicious meal.
What is Native Jollof Rice?
Most of the foods that are prepared in the natural way are very nutritious and healthy. By eating them one can stay physically fit, feel better and prevent many illnesses. Native jollof rice is one of them. It is filled with so many vital nutrients that promote good health. It contains all the nutrients that meet the body’s daily nutritional needs. It is rich in carbohydrate and protein. It also contains vitamins (B1, A, C, E) and minerals that will boost the immune system and safeguard one from common sickness. Eating native rice offers the body enough energy levels and enhances the function of the immune system to combat disease and infections. Regular consumption of native jollof rice promotes healthy skin, protect and cure dysentery. It helps to maintain weight. Eat native jollof rice today and stay physically fit, feel better and prevent disease.
Reasons to chose Native Jollof Rice for Your Valentine
- It is special because native foods are no longer common
- We eat fast food everyday
- You want to make it a memorable valentine
- Your lover wants something different
- You might be the first to give him/her a native food.
Nutritional Content of Native Jollof Rice
|Serving size: A plate|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 45 g||15%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 10 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Recipe for Preparing Native Jollof Rice
- 3 cups of Rice
- Beef or Fish
- 10 balls of Fresh Tomatoes
- 1 large bulb of Onion
- 2 table spoon of Fresh Pepper
- 1tea spoon of Curry powder
- Half table spoon of Thyme
- 2 small tins of Tomatoes Paste
- 2 cooking spoon of Palm Oil
- 2 Maggi cube or any other Seasoning
- 5 liters of Water
Hmmmmm! Native jollof rice is such a delicious food,
Valentine's Native jollof Rice rating
Method of Preparing Native Jollof Rice
- Wash dishes and cooking utensils
- Boil fish and meat with onions and salt
- Parboil the rice
- Slice onions
- Grind fresh tomatoes and pepper with crayfish
- Heat the palm oil for 5mins
- Add the beef and fish, and fry till golden brown; remove from hot oil and set aside
- Add the ground tomatoes and pepper, and fry for about 10mins to remove sourness.
- Add onion and tomatoes paste and fry for 3mins
- Stir and add water from the boiled beef/fish and allow to boil for 1min
- Add half a liter of water and allow to boil
- Wash and add the parboiled rice
- Stir, add the curry powder and thyme and check level of water
- Cook for few minutes and add Maggi cube
- Simmer till rice is cooked and stir at intervals
- Remove from heat and garnish with fried meat, fish, onions, fresh tomatoes and sweet pepper
- Enjoy your Native Jollof rice with your love ones!