- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Mother's Day Cupcakes - Decorating Ideas and DIY Cupcake Wrappers
Mother's Day Cupcakes
How to Decorate Mother's Day Cupcakes
If you are looking for a sweet treat for mom, try these easy to make cupcakes to start her Mother's Day off right. This simple and elegant design with a DIY cupcake wrapper makes a great homemade gift that every mom will love.
With these decorating ideas, there is no need to spend a fortune on baked goods from the local bakery. Your mom will appreciate the time and effort you put into making such a thoughful gift. Below you will find a list of supplies and directions for creating this delicious batch of cupcakes.
When is Mother's Day?
- Mother's Day will be celebrated on Sunday, May 13th, 2012. It is traditionally held in the U.S. on the second Sunday in May.
Cupcake Decorator Tool
Cupcake Decorating Ideas
As I was thinking about decorating ideas for this batch of cupcakes, I thought of my own mom and how I would describe her. Two words came to mind - classic and elegant. As with all moms, she works hard to take care of the family and deserves a little sparkle or what I like to call bling. With these ideas in mind, here is the list of supplies and directions for frosting and decorating these Mother's Day cupcakes.
Yellow cake mix (or your mom's favorite cake flavor)
Red colored sugar sprinkles
Decorator tool or plastic bag
Mix cake ingredients and fill baking cups no more than halfway full. Bake in oven according to directions on package. Let cupcakes cool completely before decorating.
Make buttercream icing and fill up decorator tool or plastic bag. I used the Pampered Chef Easy Accent decorator tool with the flower tip.
Start on the outside of the cupcake and swirl the icing to the center. The special flower tip will help to create folds in the icing.
Lightly sprinkle the red colored sugar on top of each cupcake. The folds in the icing help to catch these sprinkles making the classic swirled design on top.
How to Make Cupcake WrappersClick thumbnail to view full-size
Cupcake Wrapper Supplies
Similar to my rose stamp.
DIY Cupcake Wrappers
There is nothing that moms love more than a homemade gift from the heart. You can always buy the special decorative baking cups at the store, but I prefer making our cupcakes unique with a do it yourself cupcake wrapper. These wrappers are a fun and easy craft project that even the kids will enjoy making. Below is a list of supplies and step-by-step directions for creating these homemade wrappers.
White and red cardstock or construction paper
Red ink pad
White glue or glue sticks
- Cut the white cardstock or construction paper into long strips measuring approximately 1 inch in width.
- Press rose stamp firmly into red ink pad and stamp the design onto the white paper strips. Depending on the spacing between the stamps, you should have 4 to 5 roses on each strip.
- The red cardstock or construction paper strips should be slightly wider than the white strips. Measure and cut the red paper into long strips with a width of approximately 1.25 inches.
- For an added decorative touch, punch holes between the rose stamps. These holes will allow you to see more of the red paper accent.
- Using either white glue or a glue stick, attach the white paper strips to the middle of the red strips.
- Allow time for glue to dry and then wrap the decorated strips around the cupcakes. Cut off excess length and secure cupcake wrapper with either tape or glue.
Mother's Day Trivia Quizview quiz statistics
Cupcake Ideas for Mother's Day
These Mother's Day cupcakes are the perfect dessert to enjoy at a family get together or just to give as a gift. Everyone will enjoy their classic design and love the time you took to create the custom made cupcake wrappers. With these decorating ideas, you are sure to make mom smile this Mother's Day with such a sweet and tasty treat!
I hope you have found some useful ideas and a little inspiration to decorating your Mother's Day cupcakes. If you have any questions or comments about the cupcake design, please feel free to leave these in the comment section below.
Wishing a very happy Mother's Day to my mother and all the other moms out there! Enjoy your cupcakes!
More Cake Decorating Ideas:
- Fun and Easy Cake Ideas for an Ocean Themed Party
If you are planning an ocean themed party, try out these fun and easy decorating ideas for your cake and cupcakes. You will find step-by-step directions and pictures to create a fish shaped cake and under the sea cupcakes.
- Easter Cupcakes - Decorating Ideas and DIY Cupcake W...
Looking for decorating ideas for your Easter cupcakes? Find out how to make festive cupcakes with marshmallow Peeps and jelly beans all wrapped in a kid-friendly DIY cupcake wrapper.
- St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes - Decorating Ideas and DI...
Looking for decorating ideas for your St. Patrick's Day cupcakes? Try these kid friendly design ideas with step by step instructions to make your own cupcake wrappers.
- Kid's Ninja Themed Birthday Party Ideas
If you are planning a kid's ninja themed birthday party, check out some of these party ideas. Includes do it yourself birthday party invitations, decorations, cake ideas, and goodie bags.