Mother's Day is coming - make something quick!
Homemade Spa Treatment
What to do for Mother's Day
If you are like me, you do not have a lot of extra money, but your mom deserves something special on her day. This is a great idea for anyone on a budget!
Since Mother's Day is just around the corner I thought it would be nice to give you all some ideas on inexpensive gift ideas. (Hint to moms: if you want to get this from your kids or spouse just leave the page open when you leave the computer and someone who gets on next will at least see it! Possible power of suggestion tool I have used for years with better than average results so far!)
Why coffee you say? First, the caffeine in coffee is released into the surface cells especially when scrubbed on vigorously. The caffeine redistributes the fat cells reducing the appearance of "orange peel skin" or cellulite. Second, the caffeine also perks up the blood vessels close to the surface of your skin so if you exercise soon after scrubbing you will get the added benefit of toxin removal and assistance in weight loss training. Third, the caffeine acts as a vascular inhibitor. This means that it shrinks the blood vessels in varicose veins reducing or eliminating their appearance, so don't forget to scrub over them as well!
Please note that since you are on a time limit, you can cut this recipe in half and make more in a week or two to replenish the dwindling supply!
- 2 cups Coffee Grounds, cheap or used(dried) is fine
- 1/2 cup RAW sugar or SEA salt, nothing processed, but does not have to be very coarse
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil, cheap is fine *OR*
- 1/6 cup Massage Oil, its thinner so use less
- opitional addition - sent Oil essense, like mint (check that water is NOT an ingredient)
- Jar or Cannister, Dollar stores carry them
1/2 - 1 CUP
wheat germ has natural omega oils & viatmine B
Sub for oil in recipe
great for healing and reducing the appearance of scars
SWEET ALMOND OIL
Sub for oil in recipe or in addition to
contains iron, calcium, potassium, B vitamins and beta-carotene
SWEET CANE SUGAR
is a great gentle exfoliator
Lets put it together
- If you want to recycle coffee grounds start today! Lay them out someplace safe on newspaper. If mom asks what they are for just say a "project" she will assume "school", hopefully! It took me three days to get enough grounds, I make full pots.
- As soon as you have two cups, get a medium or large bowl. Preferably glass or metal. (if you use a plastic one see note at end of this hub)
- Add the grounds, RAW sugar or SEA salt and oil. Mix well stirring till it appears thoroughly combined. If using essence add it now and continue mixing for about one minute for complete distribution.
- Make sure the jar or canister is cleaned and dry. *Since she will be scrubbing this on her body we do not want chemical traces in the jar before we fill it. Fill canister and put a bow on it
- If you use a plastic bowl remember that smells are absorbed by plastic. After washing and drying, put some crumpled newspaper in it, cover tightly and leave for a couple of hours or over night. This will remove that delicious coffee smell that may not work well with other recipes that will be made in the bowl after this use.
- Nothing with water as an ingredient should be added to this as the coffee grounds will mold rapidly. This is why you should ensure that the grounds are completely dry prior to using in this recipe if recycling.
- Con: this scrub is messy . Make sure that mom is aware that the shower will need to be rinsed down after use as the grounds scatter everywhere! Better yet offer to rinse the shower for her so she does not have to work on Mother's day after her home spa treatment!
- If you don't have a jar or canister, get one at a local discount or dollar store, OR, if mom likes yard sales, take mom on a yard sale trip on Saturday so that you can possibly find one cheap and she will fell like the whole weekend is devoted to her!
- If you don't like cleaning either, the scrub can be used by putting some in an old stocking foot. You will get about half of the exfoliating effect and all of the caffeine effect.