- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Superstition Series: New Year's Eve Superstitions and Rituals
The last day of the year is commonly known as New Year's Eve, and celebrated around the world at fancy balls, festive parties and casual house ceremonies. Legend has it that the celebration of the end of the old year began in 999, when people, fearing the end of the world in the new millennium, pompously celebrated their last day. Thankfully, the prophecy has not come true, so the party lasted until dawn. And that's how we celebrate today!
New Year's Eve Superstitions
On New Year's Eve even the biggest skeptics can't help but get carried away by mysterious magic and customs.
There are a few rules that you should follow the last day of the year, to make sure your new year will be as successful as possible. Why tempt fate, it doesn't hurt to follow some of them! Just don't take it too seriously... And if you don't believe in any of this, that's OK too, do it for fun!
10 Rules to Follow on New Year's Eve:
1. Try to pay off all of your debts and outstanding bills. Settle obligations, so you will not drag anything behind. That is ALWAYS a good idea!
2. Make sure your fridge is fully stocked, to protect yourself from poverty. Pick up some yummies, to make sure you will have a lot of good eats next year!
3. On the morning of New Year's Eve and New Year's it is good to wash your face in a bowl of water with some coins in it - to keep your wallet full in the new year. I do it every year!
4. Before going out on New Year's Eve put some Christmas carp scales in your wallet - it has to be an odd number - to ensure stable finances in the new year. It sounds kind of nasty, but when the scales are clean, they really don't smell like fish anymore.
5. Before the New Year throw out everything that went wrong, broke, torn, or simply got old. Get rid of clothes you no longer wear. (Donate!)
6. Insert some money in your right shoe, before going out - the greater bill nomination the better! A hundred dollar bill will not hurt you in the dance more than a ten dollar bill, but its magical power is ten times bigger! This will ensure you a steady flow of cash throughout the year.
Superstitions on Amazon:
7. On the last night of the year forget about dieting! Have a tasty dinner and fill up, to help ensure success and prosperity in the new year. After midnight, get a new supply of food on the table.
8. Try to memorize your dreams. I know, it isn't easy, but it's worth it! Those of the next twelve nights after New Year's will tell you about what is going to happen in the next twelve months.
9. Observe the weather closely between Christmas and the feast of the Three Kings (January 6th), and you will be able to predict the aura for the whole year. Isn't that just awesome??? Every next day is a prediction for every next month. For example, if the sun shines on December 25, you can expect sunny January.
10. And the most important rule: you have to be in a great mood, because how is the New Year - that is how the entire year will be! So let's do it right! Do not argue or fight and be nice to others.
Check out my "Superstition Series":
- Superstitions for New Year's Eve
All over the world the last night of the year, commonly known as New Year's Eve, traditionally bids farewell pompously at balls and parties. This is a time of magic, and closing another chapter in our lives.
- Superstition Series: Valentine's Day Love Divination and Superstitions
What kind of customs and rituals come with Valentine's Day? Are there any superstitions, or even divination surrounding the day of love and lovers? Would you like to know? Keep reading!
- Superstition Series: Valentine's Day Superstitions
Valentine's Day customs and superstitions - "he loves me, he loves me not..."
© 2012 Aga