- Holidays and Celebrations
Refrigerator Cake: A Comfort Food This Christmas
Ever heard of refrigerator cake or simply ref cake?
My cousin, who's a psychologist declares that it's her 'comfort food' all her life. So, she makes it a point to offer his family and friends, including me with a slice of cool 'ref cake' every time I visit her.
I even lived with her for a month, way back 1999, when I was just starting my application as seaman overseas.
My Aunt's Mango Ref Cake
The usual base to be used is Graham crackers. In a pyrex rectangular dish. I helped in arranging the first layer or base of the ref cake.
Then, the filling will consist of dairy cream and the flesh of ripe mangoes, coarsely pureed (even without sugar). One pack of the biscuit will make four layered ref cake.
The sealer will be the unflavored gelatin (usually white in color). The remaining ripe mango-dairy cream mix will serve as the toppings along with gelatin.
Since, it will not be baked in the hot oven, you will never make an icing for it. Once you refrigerate it the whole night, you can eat it the next day.
If my aunt will not caught you red-handed!!! Just kidding. She prepared it for all. I may take out some slices when I go home.
Peach Refrigerator Cake c/o panlasangpinoy
The Recipe on Refrigerator Cake
two medium-sized ripe mango or coarsely pureed or thinly sliced
1 can - 14 ounces condensed milk
all purpose cream
1 pack-30 pieces graham crackers
1 small pack-14 ounces of unsweetened gelatin
- Arrange the first layer of Graham crackers on the pyrex rectangular dish.
- The mixture of sliced mango, condensed milk andall-purpose cream should be prepared ahead (chill inside the ref for an hour to have more 'body' or thickness on it). Spread some on it on the first layer then top with another set of graham crackers.
- Continue the process until you put the diluted gelatin (with lukewarm water) on the surface of the last filling.
- Garnish with the remaining sliced mango. Then refrigerate for the whole night.
There! You're ready to 'spill the beans', over this comfort food, refrigerator cake!