- Holidays and Celebrations»
- United States Holidays
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Sausage and Corn
Perfect for Thanksgiving! (Serves 6)
- 2 lbs. Butternet Squash, peeled and cubed into 1 inch chunks (store-bought or fresh)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cups Chicken Broth (I used the canned, fat-free and it turned out ok)
- 1 cup finely chopped Onions
- 1 - 1 1/4 lbs. Sweet Italian Sausage cut into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1 cup or can Whole Kernel Corn
- 3/4 cup Half-and-Half
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Parsley leaves (dried works, too)
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil, then salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until tender. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the squash with 1 cup of the chicken stock. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add a tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and brown for about 3 minutes.
- Add the cup of onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes or until onions have caramelized.
- Add the corn.
- Add the 3 cups of stock and squash puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the half-and-half and season with salt and pepper. (Optional: season w/ sugar or Splenda to make it sweeter.)
- Stir in the parsley and serve.