- Holidays and Celebrations»
- Common Holidays
Suzie's New Year Resolutions (for 2012)
Every year around this time I spend a lot of time contemplating the year that's wrapping up and the one that's about to begin. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have regrets for 2011; no, it's more like things that I couldn't done better. There is plenty of room for improvement in my life-- but that's okay. With 2012 quickly approaching, it brings with it a clean slate and a fresh start for all of us.
My list of new year's resolutions is a work in progress, but this is what I've got so far:
First, the oldies but goodies:
1. Be Healthy and Active-- I hate to admit it, but all the holiday sweets have added at least 5 pounds to my butt. Therefore, the old standard "I'm going to watch my diet and work out three times a week" is an appropriate goal.
2. Finances-- Like so many other people, I've been struggling financially for the past few years. Two years ago, I made a pact with myself that I was going to pay off all of my debt within 5 years. In order to reach this goal, I checked out nearly every book at my local library relating to debt reduction, living on a shoestring, and learning how to be satisfied with what you already have (rather than always wanting more).
This year, I'm adjusting my financial goal. I'm going to continue with all of my penny pinching methods, but I'm revising the time frame. I now have 3 years to get out of debt-- a real challenge, but if I work hard enough at it...
3. The House and Yard-- A few years ago, I bought a little old house with a big old list of problems. I've been slowly working my way down the list of repairs, maintenance, and improvement. The resolution for 2012 remains the same: just keep working on it.
Now for the new resolutions:
4. Writing-- I experienced my biggest success (so far) in my writing career during 2011. My first full length book was published-- yea! The thing is that writing and publishing are seriously addictive. If I could live in La La Land full time, I would do it in a heart beat! So, during 2012, I want to continue to pursue my goal of writing full time.
Hub Pages-- I plan to write and post at least 1 hub per week
Blogs-- My goal is to update each of my blogs at least once a month.
E-book-- I need to finish editing a re-formatting my novel, Crossroads: A Novel About Choice. I intend to publish it as an e-book on Smashwords.
General Writing-- Just keep practicing (which is where HubPages comes in)! I figure that if I just keep writing, editing, and revising and then continue to submit completed pieces to different publishers then sooner or later I should start to receive less rejections and more "we loved your story and would love to publish it!" notes. Right?
Network-- I intend to keep working on creating writing connections (and friendships) through LinkedIn, Facebook, and other writing blogs.
5. Social Interaction-- The problem with spending so much time with my head up in the clouds while I'm plugging away on different stories is that I tend to neglect my personal relationships. During 2012, I intent to make more of an effort to stay in touch with friends and family through e-mail, phone calls, snail mail, and face-to-face get-togethers.
Okay, that's all I've got so far! But, I'm still chewing over my options. Any suggestions?