jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What are your views on trick or treat on All Souls Eve (Hallowe'een)? Many elder

1. Glenis Rix profile image99
    Glenis Rixposted 2 years ago

What are your views on trick or treat on All Souls Eve (Hallowe'een)? Many elderly UK people dislike

2. aliasis profile image93
    aliasisposted 2 years ago

I lived in the UK for awhile and I heard that trick-or-treating is slowly catching on there. As an American, I can attest that it is truly a fun community experience! I don't know how well it would work in big cities and urban areas, but in residential communities it's a great holiday and the whole town will get into the trick-or-treating fun. Decorating your house, wearing fun costumes (both people who pass out candy and the kids!) and giving fun treats.. Kids have an awesome time and look forward to it all year, and it's fun to see everyone's costumes. I hope the UK can embrace this tradition! Halloween is an awesome holiday.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Interesting this question was asked today. Sharing is I have a Dearest Best Friend in Sweden. Another friend she introduced to me at Facebook also from Sweden posted a short article about All Saints Day as practiced there. Curious I read it. They have a tradition of lighting candles at the grave sites of relatives and friends. That tradition dates back quite away. Going further I Wiki'ed this day for an adventure with learning.   

I further made discovery the Americanized tradition for trick-or-treat with candy and such was really introduced there around the '90's. It is apparently at a slow pace with acceptance mainly focusing with the kids and parties too. So, off I went on another adventure looking into the history of trick-or-treat. Amazing!

Well, probably there is a hub in there for next year . . . thank you :-) Maybe I will write it and tuck it away until then. The impact of the adventure was instead of writing an email to those friends proclaiming Happy Halloween with a pic of a carved pumpkin or some such I did something different. I sent a pic of lit candle saying "Bra alla helgons dag med minne", (Good 'All Saints Day' to you with remembrance).

1. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Glenis Rix for this honor as Best Answer :-) And, the Hub Ideas as a grouping to campaign in the next year. I will give thought to a strategy, plan & action steps. Thankfully I have time. Thanks for the treat :-)

4. Michaela Osiecki profile image78
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

I imagine a lot of elderly folks dislike Halloween because in the past (60s/70s) it was a night for young people to make mischief and that often translated into vandalism and theft. It wasn't until the idea of trick-r-treating to reintroduced, along with other constructive activities for kids to do on Halloween that the night took a less destructive turn.

I love the idea of trick or treating, it harkens back to the ancient tradition of souling.

Glenis Rixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have heard of kids hurling raw eggs at windows as a 'trick' at Halloween. My local weekly newspaper published a cartoon cut out poster this week for people to stick in a prominent position. It reads 'Sorry, NO trick or treats'.

5. lawrence01 profile image81
    lawrence01posted 2 years ago

First time I came across 'trick or treat' was when I was working with a US Air Cavalry unit back in the early 80ss. Some of the men were from New York and they told me they'd banned their kids from doing it as people were putting razor blades in the sweets and kids were getting seriously hurt!
    Personally as a British person Halloween was never big on my calendar as we used to concentrate on November 5th (Bonfire night) which as I think about it now is really strange as it means we celebrated an act of terrorism!!! (A foiled plot to blow up the houses of Parliament in 1604!)
    Strange how the world turns
    By the way 'trick or treating' in ancient times always had sinister connotations.

Glenis Rixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Bonfire night was a damp squib yesterday. It rained! Saw the film Suffragette instead of watching money go up in smoke. The suffragettes were also, fundamentally, terrorists. Moral question in both cases - does the ends justify the means?

Closed to reply