- Holidays and Celebrations
Ghastly Gruel & witches brew
Warning the Foods here may be disturbing for some eaters.
Having a Monster Bash, and want to have some creepy scary & maybe just flat out gross grub? Well here ya go. There's recepies and a few pics I've found i've include for you as ideas (& some of them I even think are gross!)
The idea is be creative and if you come up with your own creations I'd love to hear about them.
I've even included a cool decorative idea for ya
preheat oven to 350
Lightly grease baking sheet
Serves: 30 strips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut to 3/4 inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups cornflake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 red 1 yellow (or orange) bell pepper cut into triangle shapes
- barbeque sauce
- Place flour & 2 2 teaspoons cjun seasoning in a large storage bag, add chicken & seal.
- Shake shake shake to coat chicken (for some shaking fun, put the calipso song on! ;-)
- Combine cornflake crumbs, green onion and reamining tablespoon cajun seasoning in shallow bowl & mix well
- Place eggs in shallow bowl
- Dip each chicken strip into eggs and then to the crumb mixture.
- Place coated chicken strips on prepared baking sheets
- Bake chiken strips 8-1-0 minutes or until chickenis no longer pink in cener
- When chicken is cool enough to handle make 1/2 inch slit in thinner end
- Place bell pepper triangle into slit to form claw nail
- Serve claws with B-b-q sauce for dipping
Ear, eye and finger 'pie' oh my
Heads on a platter
preheat over to 150 degrees F
using apples (leave stem on) carve out creepy faces with spoon or butter knife (w/ ur help)
cuts should go about 1/2 inch wide and deep to ensure the head's "melted' apperance.
when done set heads on baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and slip into oven overnight.
When cooled place on platter for a table centerpiece
(want wackier? Screw on bamboo skewers, put in house plants on decapitated doll bodies, Floating heads? (needle & fishing line)
Treats that got tricked
pre pare spooky tortilla chips
3 packages (12 oz each) 8 inch lain or flour totillas
salt to taste
preheat oven to 350 F
Spray baking sheet with olive oil non-stick cooking spray
using 3 inch halloween cookie cutters cut tortillas one at a time into shapes (discard scraps, or leave seperate for your munching needs)
Lightly spray tortilla shapes with cooking spray. Place on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with a little salt (but more likely not as they usually already have salt on them)
Bake 5-7 minutes or until edges begin to brown Remove to wire rake to cool completely
- spooky shaped tortilla chips
- 1 package 8 .oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 jar (8 .oz) prepared salsa
- 1/2 cup prepared guacamole
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Place cream cheese & salsa in blender or food processor container
- blend until almost smooth
- Spread crem cheese mixture on round serving dish or pie plate.
- smooth guacamole over top leaving 1/2 inch boarder
- place sour cream in small resealable plastic food storage bag seal bag
- pipe sour cream circles over guacamole
- run tip of knife through sour creamto make 'spider web'
Graved yard cake (or brownies)
weather for adult or young children's parties iknow not eveyone likes the same stuff, you can make them from what you or the kids would like.
(instead of pimento olives you can even use black olives.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 12 hard boiled eggs
- 1 can (4 1/2 oz) deviled ham
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup drained sweet pickled relish
- 12 pimento stuffed olives halved
- Cut hardboiled eggs lengthwise into halves
- remove yolks & place in small bowl
- Mash egg yolks with fork mix in deviled ham mayo mustard and pickle relish.
- season to taste wit a shake of salt or pepper
- Spoon filling into egg halves
- Garnish with olive halves to make 'eyeballs'
- to make extra 'scary' 'bloodshot' eyes spoon a bit of ketchup into resealable storage bag cut a tiny corner of the bag & pipe squiggles over eggs
- or to save time use leftover katchup packs for the same effect
more tricked out treats
This may be like asking if you are a lover or a fighter, but some of us are better at one or the other.
So which is your preferance? Do you like cooking or baking more for your ghoulish grub?
Some may say the bakers are those with a sweet tooth (& personally Baking is my preference & I do have a sweet tooth)
But also when it comes to 'halloween' food, which kind do you like to do best. I guess its more like which can you be more creative with to make your ghoulish grub.
Spagetti brains, Green Olive (or letche) eyes, Blood Cake (red Velvet cake) and so on for your halloween meal.
What is your favorite way to 'cook'
1 Package breadstick dough (or crecent rolls)
1 package (16 oz) Hotdogs
mustard & Poppy seeds
(for the eyes put 2 dots of mustard with a poppy seed on each drop
Creepy Cookie Cauldrons
Grease a 36 (1 3/4 inch) mini muffin cups
Remove dough from wrapper acroding to packge directions
Sprinkle dough with flour to minimize sticking if necessary
Preheat oven to 350 F
Serves: 3 dozen cookies
- 1 package (about 18 oz) Refrigerated cookie dough
- All Purpose flour
- 1 bag (14 oz) caramels unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 1/4 cup mini candy coated chocolate pieces
- Black licorice whips
- small Gummy Insects
- frogs worms or lizards (or all)
- * If refrigerate Chocoalte cookie dough is unavailable add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to refrigerated sugar cookie dough. Beat in large bowl until well blended
- Cut dough into 36 equal pieces & roll into balls
- Place 1 ball in bottom of each muffin cu, press dough on bottoms and up sides of muffin cups
- chill 15minutes
- Bake 8-9 m inutes (cookies will be puffy) Remove from oven; gently press down center of each cookie
- return to oven 1 minute.
- Cool cookies in muffin cups 5 minutes remove to wire racks & cool completely
- Melt caramels and milk in small saucepan over low heat stirring frequently until smooth. Stir in cereal
- Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of caramel mix into each cookie cup
- IMEDIATELY sprikle with mini chocolate pieces
- Cut licorice whips into 41/2 inch length.For each cookie make a small slit in side insert end of licorice strip Repeat on other side of cookie to make cauldron handle Decorate with gummy creatures. (remember less is more only 1 or 2 gummy creatures per couldron yu can even include a worm in one or 2 BEFORE including the caramel mixture this way it looks more part of the 'brew'
Trick or treat punch
1 day ahead fill pitcher with 3 cups water, color with green food coloring
Pour into glove
tightly secure top of glove with twist tie
Cover baking sheet with paper towels
place glove on prepared baking sheet
use inverted custard cup to elevate tied end of glove to prevent leaking
- green food color
- 1 envelope (4 oz) orange flavored presweetened drink
- 1 can (12 oz) frozen lemonade concentrate thawed
- 1 bottle (2 liters) ginger ale (for adult party substitute 2 750 ml bottles of Champagne)
- 1 NEW plastic Household glove
- When ready to serve combine drink mix
- lemonade concentrate and 4 cups of water in large bowl
- stir until drink mix is dissolved and mixture is well blended
- Pour into punch bowl add Ginger ale
- Cut away glove from ice, Float frozen hand in punch
- (there's other variations you can use to your tastes just be sure the juie is a light color and the hand a dark or vice versa!)
preheat oven to 350 f & lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish
- 1/2 package (12 oz) JUMBO pasta shells (about 18 shells) cooked & drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium plum tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices american cheese chopped
- Baby carrots
- red bell peppers
- small pickles & cheese slices for decoration
- heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. add onion & bacon cook until onion is tender. add beef
- cook and stir about 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. stir in tomatoes salt & pepper (or whatever your substitute seasoning)
- Stir inchopped cheese into beef mixture spoon mixture into cooked shells and place in prepared baking dish.
- Cut carrots into very thin strips. Cut a small slit into olives poke one end of thin carrot strip into olive for eyes. Cut red bell pepper in fang shapes Slice pickles lengthwise into tounge shape (or can be used as mean looking eyebrows) Cut cheese slices into zigzag pattern for teeth.
- Bake shells 3-5 minutes or until shells are hot remove from oven THEN decorate as desired with olive and carrot eyes pepper fangs and so on
- serve IMMEDIATELY
- Decorating... You can use red papper triangles for teeth, ad the cheese on top of chop meat once its in the shell to melt to hopefully looklike teeth. a pickle can be a tounge as well as a longer piece of bacon. Carrots can be used as eyes, or if you slice into sticks as well can be used to hold olives up as eyes etc.
preheat oven to 375 degrees f
Well greased cookie sheet
Serves: makes 16 'cookies'
- 5 tablespons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 all purpose flour
- dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dry raosted macadamia nuts
- candy corn & other halloween treats
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer on medium high speed until light& fluffy.
- Add egg flour salt and vanilla stir in nuts
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto well greased cookie sheet
- arranging 6 cookies per sheet falttening to 2 inch discs
- Cookies will spread to about 6 inches and become lacy while baking
- bake for 6-9 minutes or until caramel-colored and firm. Watch closely to avoid burning
- Cool 1 minute working quickly wth spatulaease 1 cookie at a time from cookie sheet keeping top of cookie on the outside, form into a cornucopia
- shape by hand or by partially wrapping around a 1 inch cylinder such as the handle of a utensil. Place cornucopia seam side down on plate to harden. Repeat with remaining cookies. Cookies firm as they cool so return them to oven for abotu 30 seconds if you need to make them more pliable
- to serve arrange on tray. If desired fill with candy, nuts and so on.
- They can also serve as placecards. Insert name tags into each cookie. (or just use tubes of colored gel icing to write their name)
- best results.. use insulated light not black cookie sheets. Thoroughly cool cookie sheets between batches.
Creepy Crawler Ice Ring
1 cup gummy worms (or otehr creepy crawler candy)
1 Quart lemon-lime thirst quencher beverage
arrange gummy worms in the botom of the 5 cup ring mold
fill mold with thirst quencher beverage & freeze 8 hours to overnight
Serves: 36 servings
- 1 creep crawler ice ring (receipe above) (looking for a yellow or green color)
- 2 cups corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 quarts cranberry juice cocktail
- 1 quart orange juice
- 1 1/2 quarts pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 quarts ginger ale (canada Dry)
- The night or day before prepare creepy crawler ring
- Stir together corn syrup and water in medium saucepan over medium high heat. add cinnamon sticks, cloves, and allspice and stir gently.
- Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to simmer 10 minutes
- Refrigerate, covered until chilled. Remove cinnamon sticks & discard. Strain out cloves & discard
- In punch bowl combine syrup mix with juices and ginger ale.
- Unmold Creepy Crawler Ice ring and add to punch bowl.
- Here's another
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 packages lime flavored gelatin (4 servings per box)
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 1/2 quarts carbonated lemon lime beverage (or Mt. Dew) chilled
- 1/2 cup gummy worms
- again the day head prepare & freeze Ice ring
- Pour boiling water over gelatin in heatproof punch bowl stir until gelatin dissolves. Stir in cold water.
- Add lemon lime beverage
- and sugar stir well (mixtur will foam for several minutes)
- unmold ice ring & float in punch. Serve the cups garnished with gummy worms.
- if you want you can also combine the 2 so you have a liquid & something with more texture for a freaky twist
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies (like oreos)
- 1 tub (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- chocolate pretzel twists or chocolate covered pretzel twists
- 20 cinnamon candies or mini choclatechips
- Split 1 sandwich cookie open for each spider.
- Scrape out filing and replace with 1 heaping tablespoon vanilla frosting
- Break off curved parts of 2-3 pretzels to create curved legs
- arrange legs on each side of frosting (3 pieces each side)
- top frosting with remaining cookie
- add 2 cinnamon candies (or mini choco chips) for eyes
- to tone down the too sugary taste of the frosting, mix in some cool whip til the sweetness is to yor liking.
- (But if you don't each them all they must be put in the refrigerator)