Haunted House Makeover: Witch Edition
Turn Your Home into a Witch's Abode
Think eye of newt, cauldrons bubbling and flying brooms as your begin your haunted house make-over.
It is easy to get inspired by the spooky Halloween villain - the witch. Just let yourself conjure up an image of green skinned witch and write down all the things that image inspires. For me, images of cauldrons, brooms and magic spells come to mind. Use these ideas as your inspiration to turn your witch themed haunted house.
Photo Credit: Donette_2007 via Photobucket.com
Cauldron Bubble at Your Haunted House
Every talented witch needs to have a cauldron where she can conjure up a potion or two.
Typically the witches cauldron is old and worn from many years of use. After all, magical witches live longer than us mere mortals. They are often black like the witch's familiar - perhaps, to signify their dark foreboding purpose.
A haunted witches home will have a cauldron brewing. A haunted house with a witch theme needs to feature a cauldron. It can be a plastic container or an old kettle to give it a more authentic look.
Animated Witch with Misting Cauldron Prop
Magic Spell Book to Keep Your Witchy Secrets
A witch will need a place to hold all her devilish recipes. A spell book with hold all her black magic. You will need to create a spot to show off this work of art.
Place the spell book on a table or an easel to give it a prominent place in your haunted house design.
You can use a hard bound notebook to make your spell book. Add your favorite recipes but give them a ghastly twist to make them suitable to include in your book. Burn page edges and coat with varathane to give the pages a more aged appearance. Include mystical symbols on edges of pages. Hand written pages will give it a more authentic look.
Don't have time for all that preparation? You can always pick up a spell book prop for your Haunted House.
Potions, Potions & More Potions
A witch without a collection of magic potions would be like a basketball player without a basketball.
You will need to create an area full of old bottles labeled with creepy potions names or awful potion ingredients. Simply add old bottles or beakers filled with several different colored liquids. Add some spider web decoration to give the potion an aged appearance. Done right will give your haunted house visitors a spine tingling feel.
Don't forget to add a few witchy touches in the potion area. You could add some creepy crawlies or a skull book head to your display. Or you could add in some potion ingredients like body parts, garlic or a jar of eyeball
Getting started making your Spell Book Halloween decoration can be daunting. Here is one of my witchy recipes to get you started.
- 1 Eye ball of an Ogre
- 2 eye lashes from a unicorn
- 1 cup of elf ear wax
- 1 L of beetle juice
- 1 tsp of ash from the Black Alps
- 2 scales from a red dragon
- 5 cups of salt
- 3 seeds from a poison apple
- Mix together your ogre eyeball along with your cup of elf ear wax. Add beetle juice and stir until gooey,
- Next fold in 1 tsp of ash from the Black Alps. Make sure ashes have been pre-soaked in lime juice.
- Finally mix together 5 cup of salt in an empty bowl. Dump in the 2 red dragon scales (Important: Scales must be from a red dragon or potion will not work). Finally, drop in the three seeds from a poisoned apple.
- Stir until thick. Cook for an 1 hour over top a blue flamed fire. Allow 15 minutes for cooling.
- Note: The drinker of said potion must say the incantation "Tap my back with the Witch's itch. Drink me down this brew before it turns to glue. Give to me the power of invisibility." while hoping on one foot before he consumes the blessed liquid.
- Recipes makes 12 beakers of potion. Each victim must drink entire potion for full effect. Each beaker contains enough thick potion to transform the bearer invisible for a 24 hr period.
- Caution: Adding any more than 3 poison apple seeds will lead to instantaneous death.
- Photo Credit
Erlemeyer Flasks, Test Tubes & Beakers
A Witch's Familiar - The Black Cat
If you have your own black cat you can allow him to stalk around your witch's den. If not you can always include a black cat halloween prop for your haunted house.
You can get a realistic looking cat, find something at the local taxidermists office (high on the creepy factor), or hint at the presence of your cat with a well situated black cat shadow.
Brooms for Speedy Get Aways
Since Witches often need to travel for work - searching out obscure ingredients and networking - their homes will often have a collections of brooms that they can utilize to get them from place to place.
A good broom is hard to find. As each witch is different her collection of brooms will be different. She could own a plain straw broom, a home made broom with a crooked handle, or she could even turn her broom into a talking companion.
The corners of the room makes a great place to store you broomsticks.
Haunted House Decorating Last Rites
After finishing the central themes to your haunted witch's hut it is time to take a moment and check out any areas that still need a little work. Add spider webs to corners, candlelight, and add some horrific sounds.
You may not want to add an over powering track; especially if you have some sound activated items in your haunted house. Make or pick up a track of creepy sounds that can be heard intermittently in the background.
Most importantly remember to have a Happy Halloween!
Additional Photo Credits:
Happy Halloween Images from Free Halloween Clip Art by artbymichelle
Thanks for Visiting!