How to Make a DIY Harley Quinn Halloween Costume
Love Makes Us Do Crazy Things
Harley Quinn is a supervillain who hangs out with The Joker. Harley was once a doctor, her full name is Doctor Harleen Francis Quinzel, PhD. Dr. Quinzel worked in Arkham Asylum as a psychiatrist, but she went a little crazy after she met The Joker. The good doctor was simply fascinated by the Joker and he took advantage of her obsession. He drove her mad and in her crazy mind, she fell in love with him. It was Dr. Quinzel who helped Joker escape from the Asylum.
Harley will do anything to help the Joker, there are no rules that apply for her where he is concerned. When anyone first meets her, you think she is cute and friendly, then you find out just how crazy she really is. She is strong, agile, and smart as can be. Don't let her mild, girly demeanor fool you.
Just imagine, beauty, brains, and psychotic...what more can you ask for in a Halloween costume. The Harley Quinn costume is an easy DIY costume to dress up in for some Halloween fun. My favorite version of Harley is the one from The Suicide Squad. Her character was played by Margot Robbie.
What You Will Need for a DIY Harley Quinn Costume
- Black Garter Shorts - boycut shorts (Harley's are usually half blue and half red, but these cute black ones will work too.)
- Red & White Raglan T-shirt - a baseball shirt, with sleeves a different color than the rest of the shirt - write Daddy's Lil' Monster" on the shirt in black marker
- Fishnet Stockings - you are going to have to rip these so if you have an old pair wear them rather than buy a new pair
- Red or Blue Jacket - Harley's jacket is blue and red, but I think one color or the other will suffice. Unless you want to sew material onto half of your jacket...or buy one at a costume store.
- Studded Leather Look Choker - You can make one with a ribbon if you don't have one and it can be studded, but that is optional or this can be a choker that says "PUDDIN" on it.
- Studded Leather Look Belt - glue some studs onto an old belt
- High Heel Athletic Boots - cute and sexy athletic style shoes with a high heel
- Gold Wrist Cuffs - these are pretty easy to make
- Fingerless Gloves (Biker Style) - get an old pair of gloves and cut the fingers off. They can be leather but any pair of gloves will do.
- Baseball Bat - more important than the shoulder gun holster below, at least I think so...
- Shoulder Gun Holster - Harley loves her weapons
- Blue Hair Extension - or spray some of your hair blue
- Red Hair Extension - and spray some of it red too
- Tattoos - not real ones, just some temporary tattoos drawn on with some friendly Halloween body paints
This is just one of many styles of Harley Quinn you can go for, it's my favorite version and it's pretty easy to make at home with stuff you may already have.
Check out this video tutorial to see how this costumer put together a Harley Quinn costume. I think it's well done and detailed enough to really help you make your own costume. There are also some more tips and ideas under the video, so watch it and read on.
Make Your Own Harley Quinn Costume - DIY Costume Squad
Harley's Nicknames For The Joker
Harley Quinn Calls The Joker by some cute nicknames. He's her Puddin' and she also calls him, Mistah J.
How To Design Harley Quinn's Bat
Harley's bat has the letters "GOOD NIGHT" on it in red, a diamond pattern design drawn in Sharpie markers, some athletic or duct tape wrapped around part of the handle, and you can write a Harley Quinn Quote on the bat with a black Sharpie marker. Just pick your favorite quote! Keep scrolling down the page to see some of the quote suggestions I put on this page.
Harley's Tattoos Tutorial
Harley Quinn Tattoo Ideas
Here are some words, phrases, and shapes, you can use for your Harley Quinn tattoos:
- Harley & Puddin
- Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
- Daddy's Lil Monster
- Property Of The Joker
- I'm Watching
- P + H
- A Joker
- Lucky You
- I'll Wait Forever
- Mr. J
- Harlequin Pattern
Harley Quinn Quotes
"I found The Joker’s psyche disturbing, his dementia alarming — and his charm irresistible! What can I tell ya? The guy just did it for me."
"Why can't a girl be nice to a guy without the mook trying to murder her?"
"Happy anniversary, Mistah J
You're pretty swell and okay
It's seven years to the day
Take the night off - let's play!"
— Harley Quinn To The Joker