Military Party for Children
Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more! This party plan is geared toward 2-7 year old children. I created this to do as a two hour "play date" with a few friends. It would also make a fun birthday party. Just add a military-themed cake! Use this fun activity plan for a birthday party, "play date," or with your classroom, family, or homeschool co-op group!
*Tell children to come wearing military-related clothing. If they bring toy weapons, immediately set those aside for later as they can become a huge distraction during other activities.*
1. Read and discuss 2 Timothy 2:3-4.
2. Discuss what obedience means.
3. Help children to set up an indoor tent using sheets and chairs. (Use camo-colored sheets if you have them.)
YOU WILL NEED: chairs and bed sheets or blankets
4. While children sit under the tent, read Captain Cat by Syd Hoff.
This is a cute easy-to-read picture book about a cat who wanders onto an army post and adopts a military life style. This book is a great way to introduce the military way of life to younger children. All the children (ages 18 mo. - 7 years old) enjoyed this book.
5. Use pictures from books to show military uniforms & helmets. Point out the various colors of camouflage. Ask the children why they think camo comes in different colors and shades.
6. Give each child a pre-folded newspaper hat. (You can find easy directions at catholicicing.com.) Have them paint the hat camo-style using the colors they think would be appropriate for our back yard.
YOU WILL NEED: newspapers or cloth to cover the table, pre-folded newspaper hats, paints, & sponges (which work better than paintbrushes)
7. If the weather is nice, take the children outside for "basic training" which can include jumping jacks, crunches, push-ups (or at least attempt them), marching, jumping through tires (hula hoops work well as tires), and jogging in a line with each person getting a turn at leading. You can also include rifle/sword drills using sticks, baseballs bats, or toy rifles/swords.
8. Come inside for trail mix and water.
YOU WILL NEED: trail mix (check for peanut allergies ahead of time if serving trail mix with peanuts), cups, & napkins
9. Read Drummer Hoff by Barbara Emberley & emphasize obeying orders from those in authority.
This is a classic children's book that is short enough to keep the attention span of even the youngest of children. It's about the process of setting off a cannon and goes through everyone who is involved. It has lots of rhyming, only a few words on each page, and gorgeous wood-cut illustrations.
10. Sing I'm in the Lord's Army. Allow children to wear their camo hats if they have dried.
11. Let children play with army men. Encourage them to have the army men obey military commands.
YOU WILL NEED: army men
Military Birthday Cakes - If you're using these fun plans for a birthday party, don't forget the cake!Click thumbnail to view full-size
Camo Party Ideas
How to Tell Military Time
Looking for all of my other play date activities and lessons written specifically for preschool and kindergarten aged children?
Explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more through games, cooking, and activities in the lesson on horses. Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, "tour" lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson on lighthouses. Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this exciting lesson the military.
- Horse Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Do you have a young child who loves horses? Use this fun, hands-on lesson or play date activity to explore horse breeds, gaits, diet, and more!
- Building & Home Construction for Young Children - Do you have a young child who loves tools and building things? Build and paint a bird house, construct a house out of pretzels, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the world of home construction!
- Butterfly Lesson for Children - Do you have a young child who loves butterflies? Create butterfly crafts and snacks, play butterfly games, and more in this fun, hands-on lesson exploring the amazing world of butterflies!
- Ladybug Crafts for Kids - Do you have a young child like mine who loves ladybugs? Create easy and adorable ladybug crafts and edible ladybugs, read these delightful ladybug books, watch the short ladybug video clips, and assemble ladybug lapbooks and worksheets during this fun hands-on lesson on ladybugs.
- Japan Lesson Plan for Younger Children - Make an origami paper crane, a carp fish kite, a Japanese meal, a Japanese doll, and more in this fun hands-on activity about Japan.
- Lighthouse Lesson - Create a model lighthouse, play a lighthouse game, read books about lighthouses, tour lighthouses using YouTube, and even eat a lighthouse in this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity on lighthouses.
- Sheep, Wool, & Weaving Lesson - Looking for fun preschool and kindergarten ideas on sheep and wool? Make and eat edible sheep, card and dye wool, paint sheep paintings, and more in this fun activity on sheep and wool!
- Manners Lesson - Are you looking for a fun and interactive way to teach your children manners and etiquette? Use this fun role-playing lesson to practice manners at meals, on the phone, as a host or hostess, and more!
- Military Party for Children - Act like privates while training at boot camp, paint camo-style hats, set up a tent, battle using army men, and more in this fun 2 hour lesson, party, or family activity on the military.
- Laws and Obedience Lesson - Looking for a fun way to help preschoolers learn about obedience and laws? Create and eat edible 10 Commandments, play Cops and Robbers after reading about police officers, act of the fall of Adam and Eve, and more!
- Illusion & Deception Lesson - Use this fun, hands-on lesson or family activity to explore deception and illusions in art, magic tricks, literature, and more!
- Attributes of God Lesson for Young Children - Are you wondering how to teach your preschooler or young child about God and His character? Use this fun, hands-on lesson, family activity, or play group time to explore who God is and what He is like!
- Gingerbread Man Lesson for Kindergarten - Ready for a fun kindergarten literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man? Compare and contrast two versions of the story, decorate gingerbread cookies, create character finger puppets to re-tell the story, and more in this fun literature lesson on The Gingerbread Man!
- Fun, FREE Hands-on Unit Studies - Looking for all of my lessons and unit studies? Over the years I have posted over 30 science and social-studies based unit studies, compromised of more than 140 lessons. For each lesson I have included activities (with photos), our favorite books and YouTube video clips, lapbook links, and other resources. I posted links to all of my unit studies and lessons at the above link.
Would you like to play this way every day?
I use Konos Curriculum as a springboard from which to plan my lessons. It's a wonderful Christian curriculum and was created by moms with active children!
If you're new to homeschooling or in need of some fresh guidance, I highly recommend Konos' HomeSchoolMentor.com program! Watch videos on-line of what to do each day and how to teach it in this great hands-on format!