Ravishing Red Velvet "Bloodcake" Receipes
Plain 3 layer Red Velevet
Walking the velvet Red Carpet
My favorite mouth watering dessert... is Red Velvet cake.
When the fall rollls around however and especially on Halloween I call it 'blood Cake'.
Why have I nicknamed it 'blood Cake'? Because when we use one of the instant mixes (I think its the Betty Crocker brand) it looks like something made for the movies. Even when it is baked, it's got enough of a nice Blood red color to fool a vampire!
Bite in and chew & YOU look like you ripped someones throat out. So it's great for your Halloween party spread. I purposely make one for Halloween even if I don't dress up as a vampire. It's also equally good for the December holiday season. To make Santa shaped Cookies, Rudolf's Nose, and other assorted Christmas baking fare.
You can use the Duncan Heinz brand which also makes an instant mix as well, however the color is not as good, It looks more like a chocolate cake than red velvet.
If you make it from scratch you can also use Beet juice for the coloring instead of red food color.
The following are recipes for
- Cake & Brownies
- My mom's homemade buttercream
- Cake decorating ideas
- Cheesecake from Scratch
- Betty Crocker Recipe mix
- 8 Fall Cake ideas
- Cup Cakes from Scratch
- Mousse (link)
- 1 box Duncan hines Red Velvet Cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter AFTER melted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg
- (optional) 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- (optional) 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cook Time for brownies
Prep Time: 10
Total Time: 55
- PREHEAT 325º degrees F
- combine Egg, butter, & water in bowl. Add box mix & stir until the ingredients are combined and lumps are gone.
- (optional) add Chips & walnuts
- pour mix into a Greased 9x13 inch baking pan
- Bake for 40-45 minutes
- Let cool for 15 minutes and place Cake on a wire cooling rack
- Frost brownies with butter cream frosting *(usually its just the Butter cream frosting used ) or you can even cut them in half and put the cream in the middle so it's like a sandwhich)
- Heat or microwave 2oz chocolate frosting for easy pour (pour out chocolate frosting over butter cream layer) use fork to blend the 2 frostings together for a marbled appearance to desired pattern.
- Sprinkle brownie with Remining Nuts
- Drizzle remaining chocolate over the butter cream
- Put brownies in freezer to cool ( would never do this.plus I LOVE warm baked goods and they just seem to get crummy after they've been in the cold)
- Allow 10 minutes then cut & serve
a Fluffy Velvety Breakfast
I would LOVE to use this recipe for Red Velvet Pancakes from Yummly
but its all from scratch. I would likely add a few more drops of food coloring (just because I like it red. When people make them from scratch they don't look the least bit red. Not even an auburn color.
The best one was a friend made 'Red' Velvet cupcakes for a family gathering and they were pink.i told him it kind of was a tease and sort of defeated the purpose of calling them red.
So I need to see if I can find out a way to make the instant cake mix to work as a pancake mix.
Red Velvet Cake - (& Cup cakes) w/ Instant mix
Sadly I True blood is no longer on for me to really have fun while making these (as I tell you the color looks like blood and that's when its baked, you should see it before it is)
preheat to 350º degrees f
Grease sides & bottom of cake pan with butter
use paper baking cups if you are going to make cup cakes
(Would you consider Muffins and cupcakes to be the same? Or would I need to alter this to make muffins?)
- 1 box Duncan Heins or Betty Crocker cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 vegetable Oil
- 3 eggs
Cake Cook Time
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: cake varies by size
- Blend dry mix, water, oils & eggs in a large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds)
- Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes
- Pour batter in pans and bake right away
- Bake cakes according to baking time chart on box always test with a toothpick right in the middle
- cool for 5-10 minutes
- take cake out of pan and on to wire rack to cool for another 15
- (or if like me you LOVE warm baked goods, cut a piece off to test)
- Most of the time cream cheese or butter cream frosting is used for red velvet goods.
Butter Cream Ingredients
- 1 bar of Softened UNSALTED butter
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup confectioner's sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoons Buttermilk or regular milk
8 oz. buttercream frosting
4 oz. triple chocolate frosting
MOM's Home Made Butter Cream Frosting - serves for 6-12 cupcakes
Depending on your preference here's the recipe, how much you need for type of cake or if you are just going to glaze.
3 Cups of Powdered (confectioners') sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/3 cup Softened UNsalted butter
2 tablespoons milk
Mix together or BEAT with blender - sugar & butter then add vanilla & mik
How Much Frosting is Enough
For 12 Cupcakes - 1 cup
for a 13 by 19 inch pan or 2 layer 8 inch you'll need 1 1/4 to (9 inch 2 or 3 layer 8 inch) ) 2 1/2 cups
10 inch tube pan 12 cup bunt pan 3-4 cups
if you'll be glazing the cake you'll need smaller amounts
13 by 9 inch 1/2 to 1 cup
10 inch tube or the 12 inch bundt 1 1/2 to 2 cups
Holiday Cake Decorating
DO NOT FROST
*Dust top with confectioners sugar (Snow)
*Green tube of Decorative icing to make a tree
*Blue Decorative icing or gel
(the light color) as Ice
*You can even put a sprinkling of the confectioner's sugar
on the tree so it looks snowy
*Red Deco icing in tube to put holiday balls on
*(bonus) if there's yellow maybe 'candles'
Cheese cake from Scratch Ingredients
- 1 box Betty Crocker super moist Devil's Food cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3 Packages (8 oz each) cream cheese softened
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (6 oz) melted & cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring (I would put more like starting at 2)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups frozen (thawed) whipped topping
Red Velvet CheeseCake from Scratch - serves 16
PrepTime: 20 Minutes Start to Finish 8 hours & 35 minutes
Heat Oven to 300 degrees Fereignheight
wrap outside bottom and side of 10-inch springform pan with heavy duty foil.
Spray inside of pan with a baking spray then flour.
Reserve 1/4 cup cake mix for filling .
In large bowl, beat remaining cake mix and the butter with electric mixer on low speed.
Press in bottom and 1 1/2 inches up the side of the pan
In a large bowl, beat reserved 1/4 cup cake mix, the cream cheese, melted chocolate, sour cream, sugar & food coloring with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Beat in eggs, one at a time until blended
Pour over crust
Bake 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until edge of cheesecake is set 2 inches from edge of pan but center of cheesecake still jiggles slightly when moved
Turn oven off, open oven door 4 inches & let cheesecake remain in oven 30 minutes.
Run small metal spatula around edge of pan.
Cool on cooling rack 30 minutes
Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
Run small metal spatula around edge of pan, remove side of pan. Pipe whipped topping around outer edge of cheesecake.
Store Covered in Refrigerator
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: about 30 minutes
Serves: varies on the size you make
Red Velvet Cookie Ingredients (from Instant)
- 1 box Duncan Heines or Betty Crocker RED VELVET cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 Eggs
- DO NOT add water
- DO NOT FOLLOW BOX other than preheating at 350° degrees
- mix until thick paste
- Then add a dollop of the cookie dough on the sheet about an inch apart
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes
- (if you make bite size check after 5 minutes)
Velvety Betty Crocker mix
I think we usually get the Betty Crocker brand. (But it could be the Duncan Heinz brand it's been awhile since we made Red Velvet) One of them seems redder and if it's around Halloween that's better. Why? Because if you are dressed as a vampire, you'll look like you did suck someone's blood!!!
Another reason is because to me it was softer, airier, fluffier and more moist than the other brand.
I think the next time I make Red velvet I'll do a brand test!
I'll Buy one mix of each brand and do a full work up. I'll judge them on
and whatever else I think needs to be noted. Good thing Halloween is close maybe I can do it soon.
Fall cake DO NOT FROST
1 Orange Tube icing
1 Yellow tube icing
set of those design tops
squeeze a little of them out to make look like leaves falling put the design on the sides of the the cake as well
or make a butter cream frosting
in 2 different bowls 1 for Yellow food coloring the other for orange
Frost the cake but not the WHOLE cake, you want to be able to see some of the red cake between the colors
switch back & forth between the 2 just smudging the cake top & sides with an icing spatula.
Red Velvet Cup Cakes FROM SCRATCH - & frosting too (can also be used for a regular cake)
So far I really have not found a red velvet cake made from scratch that I like other than from our favorite bakery.
It doesn't taste the same as the mix which is a good flavor, usually the others just taste like a red colored chocolate cake and to me the instant doesn't. I'm not sure why but I urge you to try the instant first, then if you like to make stuff from scratch try that.
Another reason I have not liked the scratch version, besides from the most important part which is taste, the fun part the kid in me LOVEs (& vampire fan) is they just don't paint your mouth to look like you just fanged someone!
Cup cake Ingredients
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder (I'd include at least a cup though)
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1oz bottle Red Food Color
- 2 tsp. Pure Vanilla extract
- Vanilla Cream cheese frosting
Instructions for Cupcakes
- Cake mix
- MIX flour, cocoa, baking soda, & salt.
- BEAT butter & sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes or until light & fluffy.
- Beat in eggs 1 AT A TIME. Mix sour cream, milk, food coloring andvanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed just until blended.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
- BAKE in preheated oven at 350° degrees 20 to 25 minutes
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes.
- Remove from Pans, cool completely.
- Spread With Frosting (see below)
- Vanilla Cream Frosting
- BEat 1 package (8 oz) softened cream cheese
- 4 tbsp. softened butter
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract in large bowl until light & fluffy
- Gradually beat in 1 box (16 oz) confectioners sugar on medium speed until smooth
Red Velvet Waffles Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup melted butter cooled
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
Red Velvet Waffle Instructions
- preheat waffle iron & spray with non-stick spray
- Separate eggs & beats whites til stiff
- Mix dry ingredients together then add wet & mix all together
- fold in egg whites
- pour into waffle iron and wait til done
Red Velvet Mousse
- Red Velvet Mousse with Vanilla Whipped Cream Recipe | McCormick
Luxurious chocolate mousse with a red velvet tint is the perfect Valentine's Day dessert.
preferably to make out of the instant
Pancakes or Waffles
a crumb cake (need to get it to be very dense)
Valentines' Why not make a heart shapped cake or even cookies for your sweetheart or if you are single make them for yourself!