St. Patricks Day Celebrations, Customs & Toasts
The Luck of the Irish to ya!
May you live all the days of your life.
I love the above quote.
It is a simple statement of how the Irish seem to live their lives to the rest of the world, to the fullest!
St. Patrick's Day is celebrated around the world.
Let's explore together some of the Irish traditions, different types of Saint Patricks celebrations and who can forget those warm Irish toasts!
"Here's to the land of the shamrock so green,
Here's to each lad and his darlin colleen,
Here's to the ones we love dearest and most.
May God bless old Ireland, that's this Irishman's toast!"
Kissing the Blarney Stone - Just what is a Blarney Stone?
The Blarney Stone (Irish: Cloch na Blarnan) is a block of bluestone built into the battlements of Blarney Castle, Blarney, about 8 kilometres (5 mi) from Cork, Ireland. According to legend, kissing the stone endows the kisser with the gift of gab (great eloquence or skill at flattery). The stone was set into a tower of the castle in 1446. The castle is a popular tourist site in Ireland, attracting visitors from all over the world to kiss the stone and tour the castle and its gardens.
The word blarney has come to mean "clever, flattering, or coaxing talk".
Photo credit: Brian Rosner
- Cook time: 9 hours
- Ready in: 9 hours
- Yields: 4
- 2 stalks celery
- 4 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- cut in 4 wedges
- 4 to 6 red potatoes
- quarter ed
- One 4-pound corned beef brisket
- 12 -ounce bottle stout or dark ale
- 1 tablespoon corned beef spices or pickling spices (or spices that come with the brisket)
- 1 medium head cabbage
- cut into 6 wedges
- For serving: grainy mustard and horseradish sauce, recipe below
- Place celery, carrots, onion and potatoes in the bottom of a large slow-cooker or crock pot. Rinse the corned beef brisket and place over vegetables. Add the bottle of stout, spices and enough water to just cover the meat. Cover and cook on LOW for eight to nine hours.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the pot and cover with foil to keep warm. Increase heat to high and cook cabbage until softened but still crispy, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Slice brisket across the grain, serve with vegetables, mustard and horseradish sauce. Pass extra cooking liquid at the table.
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup drained prepared horseradish
- dash hot sauce
- salt and pepper to tast
- Whip cream to soft peaks and then fold in sour cream and horseradish, to taste. Season with salt, pepper and a dash of hot sauce.
Fun things to do for St. Patricks Day
- Go see a Parade
- Wear Green
- Drink Green Beer
- Kiss the Blarney Stone
- Find a pot of Gold and catch the Leprechaun!
- Eat some Corn Beef and Cabbage
- Spend the day with Family and Friends
- Practice your Irish Accent and give a toast
Mug of Green St Patrick's Day Beer by Leprechaun Hat~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the United States we think of the following Traditions on St. Patricks Day, which by the way is on March 17th, which is St. Patricks birthday.
You must of course wear the traditional green on St. Patricks day, or those mischievious people will think they can freely pinch you!
St. Patricks day Parades.
If your wondering if there is a parade near you, check out the following:
BDrinking Green Beer, talking with an Irish accent as you toast your friends, and eating corn beef and cabbage at your local Pub is one way many adults spend time celebrating St. Patricks day./p">
There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, 'It is just as I feared!
Two Owls and a Hen,
Four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard!'
~by Edward Lear from A Book of Nonsense
- Saint Patrick's Day Coloring Pages
Printable templates for St. Patrick's Day coloring book pages for preschool and kindergarten kids.
- DLTK's St. Patrick's Day Crafts for Kids
DLTK's Holiday Crafts for Kids Leprechaun Crafts
- St. Patrick's Day Crafts for Kids | St. Patrick's Day | FamilyFun
Share Great St. Patrick's Day Crafts Ideas for Kids that will surely get them in the Holiday spirit on FamilyFun.com
- St. Patrick's Day Crafts for Kids - Enchanted Learning Software
St. Patrick's Day Crafts and Activities for kids. Kindergarten, preschool, and elementary school crafts. Make wonderful, simple crafts with things found around the house.
- FamilyCorner.com� | St. Patrick's Day crafts, recipes, decorating, organizing, printables, coloring
Find easy St. Patrick's Day recipe ideas, fun Irish crafts for kids, St. Patty's activities, green recipes for kids, St. Patrick's Day printables and plenty more.
"May the luck of the Irish
Lead to happiest heights
And the highway you travel
Be lined with green lights.
Wherever you go and whatever you do,
May the luck of the Irish be there with you."
How do they celebrate in Canada - With parades of course
Wood Sorrel Shamrock
St. Patrick the patron Saint of Ireland, is one of Christianity's most widely known figures.
St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 17th, his religious feast day and the anniversary of his death. For centuries, the Irish have observed this day.
The Montreal St. Patrick's Parade has run consecutively since 1824 and has been organized by the United Irish Societies of Montreal since 1928.
Each year in March, the citizens of Montreal and visitors are invited to enjoy this celebration of St. Patrick, the Irish community and the welcoming of Spring. This giant replica of St. Patrick at the onset of the parade lets everyone know that the celebration has begun and the Grand Marshal who leads the three hour presentation of floats, bands, community and cultural groups follows him.
The Irish welcome you to join in this celebration.
"May you always have a clean shirt, a clear conscience, and enough coins in your pocket to buy a pint!"
"May you have all the happiness
and luck that life can hold-
And at the end of all your rainbows
may you find a pot of gold."
Happy St. Patricks Day!