What Not to & What to Get A Teacher for Christmas
The Gift Teacher's Remember
Forget the Mug ~ Buy the Stand!
With the Christmas holiday in people's minds, searching for a gift for the teacher usually gets put on the back burner. I mean so far back that it is usually the week of Christmas before the gift is purchased, and picking up something at the checkout isn't an option that I would say is considered a "thank you for teaching my child" gift.
Homemade cookies are always appreciated, but if your're thinking about buying a coffee mug, think again. Do you want your teacher to remember the gift you gave? Then "Forget the mug, buy the stand."
I know that finding the right gift can be a challenge, but getting that perfect gift for "the teacher" really isn't that difficult. All you need to do is a bit of listening and you'll discover the many facets of a teacher that go far beyond the classroom. You'll soon learn what not to get your teacher for Christmas.
Look for tips of things to avoid buying, along with great gifts they'll love and appreciate for years to come. Have any suggestions, please leave me a comment at the bottom of this site. I'd love to hear from you.
Photo credit google royalty free images by uniqueblogsite.blogspot.com
What Not to Get Your Teacher for Christmas (original article). Copyrighted material. Do not copy. Photos are courtsey of google royalty free images or favored1.
Teacher's Favorite Box
POLL: So What Have You Bought?
Have you ever bought a gift for a teacher?
Poll: Was your first thought "mug" or "tie"?
Have you ever bought a teacher a mug?
Tips on what not to get. - So what's really in for teacher gifts?
Were you thinking about buying a tie, coffee mug or ornament for a teacher?
Wait, there's a perfect gift he/she might prefer.
When too much catches up with you.
Ornaments & Gifts from Students
This is a picture of one of my trees that I used to put up each year. It had about 1,000 ornaments. Guess who many of them were from? Yep, my kids. It finally got to be too much and the last time the tree was put up was almost ten years ago.
Where are the ornaments now? Unfortunately, I don't know because they were stolen. However, the items on the table to the right, also mostly came from students.
Photo credit by Favored1
Ohhhh, thank you Timmy...
Forget the mug, buy the stand! - Since teacher's already have the mugs, they usually need a place to put them.
I had a cabinet full of mugs and no stands to display them. A coffee mug stand would be a nice place to switch out the mugs throughout the year to sort of show them off during the seasons.
What not to give your teacher.
Please don't think we are ungrateful, but...
I've been in the education field for over 30 years. During that time I have worked in seven school systems spanning over 40 districts. My teaching experiences have ranged from pre-k handicapped through college age students. So that covers a lot of teachers, parents and students. Although the locations may have varied, the average teacher gifts didn't.
When a teacher receives a gift, they are truly grateful. However, many of those gifts never get to be used and are given away before the teacher ever leaves the school (bet you didn't know that). Exactly how many mugs can one use? How many ornaments actually fit on a tree? My fridge only holds so many "teacher" magnets.
Many of the gifts that I have received remained in the classroom or got stored away in a huge filing cabinet never to be used or seen again. It's not that we don't appreciate the gift and thought, but they just weren't things we had room for could use on a regular basis.If you don't want your gift falling into the lost bin or re-gift department, give something that is suited for the individual's interests.
Photo credit google royalty free images
DIY School Teacher Gift Ideas
Here is a brief list of "don'ts." - Please don't give:
- One more homemade gift album. They're pretty, but not practical or big enough.
- Mugs filled with candy
- Another ornament
- Yarn, macaroni craft or popsicle stick gifts
- Homemade cookies or baked goods. I understand this one doesn't apply to some teacher's, but to many. Teacher's already know you can make these items, because you baked them for your kids birthday or some other class party. It's not that they won't appreciate it, but it doesn't show that you care about their interests.
- Another tie that lights up or plays jingle bells.
- Perfume or cologne. Just like you, teacher's have a favorite scent they use. Most of the time this gift is re-gifted to someone else.
- Teacher magnets. We just can't display them all.
- Cubed or cute shaped note pads. I never use them because it ruins how pretty they are...so, they just become one more thing on my already cluttered desk.
- Under garments, pj's or night gowns of any kind. This is a really big no-no.
- Mouse pads.
- Things they have to make, assemble or put together in any way. They're tired and need a rest too.
- Things that are to be shared by the entire class. If you want to give the class a gift, that's ok, but it shouldn't be in place of a gift for the teacher.
- Things that have to be used on a certain day or it is not valid. No one can predict anyone else's schedule. Example: Theater/play, game or concert tickets for a specific night. Tickets are great, but should be bought only if there is an option for them to be used for any play, concert or game.
Do you think teacher's should get a Christmas gift?
What to Get for Your Teacher and Friends for Christmas
A Teacher's Christmas Wish
A Teacher's Christmas Wish List
A teacher imagines what she wants for Christmas.
Gifts for Male or Female Teachers ideas from a teen that is cool.
School Teacher Gifts using Totes
Do you think a teacher is ungrateful if they want a gift not related to the classroom?
So what are some great gift ideas? - Here are 25 gifts on a teacher's wish list.
Teachers are busy being creative with ideas everyday. They know what your child can do and don't need another one of the same thing they have already displayed in the classroom. Just like your child, every teacher has their own hobbies, likes and dislikes. Find out what they are.
Single Disposable Cameras under $15.00 - Buy the double pack and save.
Teacher's Real Wish List
- Disposable cameras. Teacher's take pictures in the classroom all year long.
- Their favorite movie. Find out what their favorite movies are and get one on DVD.
- Make a movie night bucket filled with candy, popcorn, soda, etc. Someone once gave me this gift. I liked it so much, the next year I gave out several movie night baskets.
- Gift card to a movie theater (for 2 tickets of course)
- Gift certificates to office supply stores. Teacher's often have to buy their own supplies.
- Gift certificate to a teacher store or learning center store. This is one of my favorite gifts. In one school where I taught, I had only a $100.00 budget for art supplies for all my class projects that year. The PTA (Parent Teacher's Association) gave each teacher a $25.00 gift card to any place they wanted. Almost every teacher chose a teacher supply store gift card.
- Gift card to the mall which allows them shop in any store they like. I really liked this.
- A gas gift card. Some teacher's have to travel quite a distance to school, and that takes up a big part of their salary. This card is always a great gift.
- Subscription to Instructor Magazine or another teacher's magazine. I love my Instructor magazine and relied on it for many years. If a teacher already has a subscription to it, renew it for them.
- Free car wash and detailing gift card. This is such a nice gift especially if a teacher lives on a country road.
Gift Books Are Always Nice
Teacher Gifts They'll Love
- Free tire rotation/change or oil change and lube/grease job.
- Gift certificate to a bookstore. Every year the largest percentage of my budget goes towards books, not in my classroom, but at home. I have an extensive research library and need to add to it all the time. Unlike some people, teacher's often do like an actual physical book just to read while relaxing.
- A nice candle and candle stand. One of my favorite gifts was from a senior who gave me the most wonderfully scented candle. I never burned it, but just opened it when I was working at my desk at home.
- Gift card to a music store.
- Sports jersey. It was during basketball season when I was hooked on anything Laker's. A 7th grader noticed that and made it a point to get me a Laker's sports jersey. It was one of my most memorable gifts.
Here are two more gifts that I not only recommend, but have received.
Swiss Colony Dobosh Torte Trio
Select from over 60 Swiss Colony items on Amazon.
I have given and received this product for over 20 years. It is one of my favorites, and can be divided into three gifts so it is economically wise as well.
I serve it over the holidays to my guests, and it has always gotten good reviews. My favorite is the double chocolate one in the middle.
More Holiday Gift Ideas
Pretzel Gift in Reusable Tin
This is another example of Swiss Colony item that I have received this gift several times, including this year.
What I like about this gift is that it has 3 different flavors, and I reuse the tin for storing my own baked cookies in the freezer.
Another way I have used them is in party trays over the holidays. It saves me so much time and the guest love the white chocolate for a change.
Swiss Colony Holiday Pretzel Trio
Ten More Teacher Gift Favorites
- Chocolates. I was blessed by a 9th grader one year with a beautiful box of Godiva chocolates. Chocolates, cheese, crackers and fruit gift baskets are nice. You can get these here through Swiss Colony. I use them every year.
- An everyday watch for school. I didn't receive a watch to wear, but a silver wall watch. This gift was quite unusual, because this senior gave me a clock watch that even had the bands on it. It stretched out over 3 feet. I loved it and hung it in one of my guest bedrooms.
- Engraved letter opener. When I received this gift I was really surpirsed. An 11th grader had a silver letter opener from Things Remembered engraved with her name and the date so I wouldn't forget her. We remained in touch for years after she graduated and became a nurse.
- Large photo album. Each year I took tons of pictures of projects and kids. I never had enough albums, and those that people made for me didn't work well.
- Large poster size photo frames. I had 4 of these hanging in my office containing student photographs. I made a collage of class trips and events, then displayed them in these large showcase type poster frames. They were less then $20 to buy.
- A gift card to a Bible Book store or Christian Book Store. I could have used this for cards, borders and stuff for my bulletin boards.
- Small music boxes.
- Trunk organizer
- Jumper cables. There were so many teachers I knew that worked late or had night classes, and when leaving for home they discovered that their car wouldn't start. Oddly, not too many had jumper cables.
- Scarf sets. Many times a teacher likes to keep extra items at school for when they have playground or other duties that take them outdoors. This idea works for both men and women.
On average what do you think is a good $ amount to spend on a teacher's gift?
Do you give gifts to Sunday school teachers as well as regular education teachers?
Gifts $30.00 and above.
Gift Basket Combo Packs from the Entire Class - I love these.
Gifts under $20.00
Poll: Teacher Gifts
Do you (or did you) buy a gift for every teacher your child(ren) had?
Candles as Gifts
A few more gifts we love.
- House plants that flower (or not).
- Flower arrangements.
- Gift certificates to a nail or beauty salon. Don't forget the barber.
- Restaurant gift certificates.
- Pizza gift certificates.
- Aromatherapy Candles under $15.00
Aromatherapy Candles under $15.00
Gifts from A Group to an Individual. - A nice selection that could be given to each teacher by the PTA or other groups.
Popcorn, movie night and candy gift baskets are also a good choice for teacher's and their families.
What is nice about everyone pitching in a little toward one gift, it can be a larger one and much nicer. It can be presented at a class party or staff gathering.
Did you ever think of giving a gift card to a teacher?
Amazon Gift Cards - eCards, Pop-up Cards & Specialty Cards
Editor Dave a seasoned teacher with a house full of teachers made this suggestion that I like:
Poll: Who will you buy for?
How many teachers will you buy for this year?
Did we help you?
Was this site helpful in your decision making?
"For unto you is born this day,
in the city of David,
a Savior, which is Christ the Lord."
Thanks for visiting and shopping. Have a very Merry Christmas.
Be sure to visit my Daily Favor Blog for more inspirational gift idea.
© 2011 Fay Favored