Why it's a great idea to shop at Amazon
Remember the bad old days before online shopping?
I often shop using Amazon. And I also remember the first time I ordered something online. Were my credit card details really safe? Would the goods definitely arrive as advertised? Why should I pay for shipping rather than go to a local store?
I really wasn't sure about this online ordering malarkey.But now, it's a way of life for most of us.
Today we buy almost everything online, including some fresh produce. It seems that everything is available to buy online now from artwork to zumba DVDs.
Somehow getting into the car and going to a shopping mall seems to be pretty last century. Online we can research products and compare prices too.
We can order goods to be sent as gifts - even overseas - complete with gift wrapping and gift cards. Shipping can be so quick - we order something today and by tomorrow our family in the UK have received it.
We don't need to think ahead. We do most of our holiday shopping, for example, on about December 20th if not later. So many products have free shipping too. I can't imagine life without being able to shop online and the hugest and best online store is Amazon. There was a time when the word 'Amazon' conjured up images of a river or a race of female warriors but today, mention 'Amazon' to anyone and they think about online shopping.
There are many reasons why shopping at Amazon is a great idea
Here are just a few reasons to shop at Amazon
- REVIEWS - Anyone can write a review on a website about a product or service they 'have used'. This means that if you're selling teapots you can ask all your family and friends to write about how magnificent your teapots are. On the other hand, a rival teapot manufacturer can write a review about how dreadful your teapots are. On Amazon, it is clearly noted when someone has actually bought the product - it will say 'Amazon Verified Purchase'. So you know that the person who has written the review has genuinely used that product....
- CHARITABLE GIVING - Scroll down to see how much Amazon has donated in recent years. You have bought a product, but you're also helping worthy causes....
- BARGAINS - Every day Amazon goods are offered at amazing prices....
- PACKAGING THAT IS ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Amazon is always searching for ways to ensure that their environmental impact is as low as possible. The company constantly requests feedback from buyers so that they can make their packaging even more environmentally sound....
- RETURNS - In the unlikely event of there being a problem with your purchase, you can return it easily within a thirty day period. If an item arrives at your home and it's damaged, it will be replaced - no questions asked....
- AMAZON 'GETS TO KNOW YOU' - Using your order history and your viewing preferences, Amazon will suggest products that you might like. I admit that at first I thought this was intrusive but it's just the same as going into a bricks and mortar store where the staff know you. I have found some fabulous products and bargains thanks to this feature....
- AMAZON SELLS ALMOST EVERYTHING - There was a time when Amazon sold mainly books - that's how they started. Today, they sell just about everything you can imagine! Plus, it's delivered to your door. That is a wonderful treat - when I was a child, only the rich had goods delivered by the 'tradesmen'. It's planet-friendly too, as we don't have to use the car.....
Amazon donates to charity and relief funds
Shopping and researching online
I know that many people like to go into 'real' stores but the number of products on Amazon beats anything you'd find in a mall or local shopping center. Let's imagine I was looking for a new pair of shoes. I check many pairs online and finally decide that I prefer these. I can zoom right in to the photograph and check out the details.
If you love these shoes
They are available in lots of different colors. They are simple, but incredibly stylish. Just click the image or link to see all the lovely variations. Discover just how easy it is to buy from Amazon!
Checking the details
On the left of the image above, you'll see other photographs of the shoes from different angles. And I can easily zoom in to check out the stitching or any other details.
- WHAT IF THE SHOES DON'T FIT? No problem, they are easy to return and be replaced.
- WHAT IF I CAN'T AFFORD THEM YET? Also no problem as you can add them to your wishlist. (This is a great idea because sometimes I'll add something to my wish list and my other half will order it for me!)
'You might also like...'
Note how Amazon gives me other options - lots of them. This beats shopping in a shoe store hands down.
Have you ever gone shopping for shoes, visited every shoe store in town, tried on dozens of pairs and finally bought the pair you first saw? I have. What a waste of time and effort.
No matter how good your local mall is, you won't find the variety of products that you can find online.
The joy of online shopping
- I can shop in my PJs, sipping a cup of tea with no-one to rush me or interrupt me.
- If you hate pushy salespeople, online shopping is perfect for you.
- There's no need to go out in bad weather and no need to get the car out and waste valuable gas.
- I can have gifts delivered to my friends and family complete with gift wrap and card.
- I can get some great bargains - much cheaper than visiting regular stores.
- My browsing history will be saved so I have a permanent list of the products I've been looking at.
- Shipping is fast.
- I can create personal gift cards using my own photographs and images.
- Use the baby or the wedding registry system.
- You don't even need a credit card because you can buy cards you can use on Amazon at stores local to you.
What sort of items can I buy online?
Just about anything! There was a time when it was almost all books. Now, it's easier to think about what you can't buy!
Hard to find grocery items
Our local supermarket used to have an online order service which was wonderful. It was great when the supermarket truck rolled up outside with the weekly groceries. But even so, there are a lot of products that we couldn't - and still can't - buy locally. This is where Amazon comes in to play.
Here's what we do - we put in an order about every three weeks or so and include items that we use regularly (like curry sauces and English goodies) and also a couple of treats. What's life without treats? What's surprising is that many times, foods on Amazon are less expensive that they are at specialty stores. And it's always a treat when the package arrives. When we're entertaining, we buy all our food supplies on Amazon - it's like having an instant dinner party delivered!
Bargain appliances - large and small
Just like food products, appliances are often cheaper to buy from Amazon than they are from regular stores. My neighbor recently remodeled his entire kitchen and bought all his new appliances online. He calculated that he's saved well over $1500.
And as he said, if anything had arrived even with the slightest damage, it would have been instantly replaced. This is so different to bricks and mortar stores. Often returning a product is more trouble than it's worth but that's not the case with Amazon - quick service is exactly what we expect these days.
Stylish designer furniture
I love Mid Century Modern furniture but of course, I can't afford the originals that I'm sometimes lucky enough to see in antique shops.
I have several of these items - some for several years - and I'm constantly delighted with the quality of them. For reproduction furniture, there is nowhere locally so I feel as though I can furnish my home exactly the way I want to.
I imagine that Amazon orders furniture in huge quantities which gives them tremendous purchasing power and those savings are passed on to us. Couldn't be better.
My reviews of Mid Century Modern chairs
- Replica Bertoia wire side chair
I have loved the Bertoia wire side chair for years but I was sure that these design icons were beyond my budget. Genuine ones are of course, but I'm delighted with the replicas of this design classic.
- Replica Eames Chair - my favorite Mid Century Modern...
The replica Eames chair - we know it's incredibly stylish but is it worth the money? We know it's a Mid Century Modern classic but is it functional? Is it comfortable? Find out here.
Oh, and adults only
If there's anything you need that you might be a little ... um ... shy about buying locally, then online shopping is the answer!
All photographs from Amazon.
© 2013 Jackie Jackson