- Books, Literature, and Writing
11 Must-read Books for a Sincere Seeker!
“Make your own Bible. Select and collect all the words and sentences that in all your readings have been to you like the blast of a trumpet.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
I have always been fond of reading but I preferred reading fiction. Self- help books, no ways and spiritual books...are you kidding me? Well, people change with time and so have I. My reading preferences have changed over the years and now I am open to reading all genres. Self- help books and spiritual books in general, are very intriguing considering they evoke all kinds of queries pertaining to this mortal existence. They offer different perspectives and widen your horizons. You come across different philosophies and thoughts of the great minds to guide you on a journey towards a content and meaningful life.
Here is a list of a few books which I think is a must-read for all those who are treading on the path of spirituality and are seeking the purpose of this human life:
1. Bhagwad Gita as it is : This holy book offers a translation and commentary by Srila Prabhupada on the ancient Hindu Scripture Bhagwad Gita. Srila Prabhupada was a learned scholar and the founder-acharya of ISKCON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness). Bhagwad Gita is the dialogue between Lord Krishna and Arjuna in the battlefield of Kurukshetra before the onset of war. Srila Prabhupada has given word to word meaning of each shloka followed by a detailed explanation taking examples from other related scriptures like Srimad Bhagwatam, Keno Upnishad etc.
2. Celebrating Silence: This book is based on the excerpts of talks by H.H. Sri Sri Ravishankar, a spiritual leader and founder of Art of Living. The book is a must-read for those seeking peace of mind and stress-free living. Sri Sri has discussed a wide range of topics in this book from doubt to fear, from love to jealousy and so on.
3. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: It is a small pocket-sized book written by Deepak Chopra. In this small but potent book, Deepak Chopra links success with spirituality and human values. The author emphasizes that by applying the laws of nature in our lives, everything we want can be created.
4. The Art of Happiness: A handbook for living: Inspired by the Dalai Lama’s joyful nature and pleasant countenance despite of the political situation in Tibet and the challenges he has faced, author Howard Cutler wanted to write a spiritual book focused towards a Western audience. This book talks about the the purpose of life which is to find happiness,. Happiness is determined by one’s mental state, despite outercircumstances.
5. Autobiography of a Yogi: This autobiography of Paramahamsa Yogananda introduces the readers to the life of Paramahansa Yogananda and his encounters with the prominent spiritual figures of his time. The book served as an introduction to the methods of attaining God-realization and to the spiritual philosophy of the East which was unheard by the Westerners at that point of time.
6. Stumbling into the infinity: This book by Michael Fischman is an intimate account of his spiritual journey and his encounter with his master H.H. Sri Sri Ravishankar which changed his life forever. This fascinating memoir takes us into the mystical world of a prominent spiritual leader of today's times as well as the author's own personal doubts and struggles on the spiritual path.
7. Many Lives, Many Masters: It is the true story of a prominent psychiatrist Dr. Brian Weiss and his young patient. In this book, the author talks about the past-life therapy sessions with this patient that changed both their lives. This book is amazing and provides scientific evidences for reincarnation and the rebirth theory.
8. The Power of Now: Eckhart Tolle is one of the greatest spiritual writers of the modern times and his book, The Power of Now has been a bestseller. It talks about transcending into the 'Now' to attain happiness and peace.
9. The Ultimate Happiness Prescription: Everyone is seeking happiness and yet failing miserably. In this book, Deepak Chopra prescribes seven tips to find happiness even during the challenging times.
10. An Intimate Note to the Sincere Seeker: An Intimate Note to the Sincere Seeker is a compilation of excerpts of weekly talks by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar during the year 1995 - 1996. The book contains pearls of wisdom on 365 different topics- Each topic for each day for the entire year.
Do you believe in reincarnation?
Mind and Negativity - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
© 2015 Shaloo Walia