ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel
  • »
  • Books, Literature, and Writing»
  • Poems & Poetry

A Haiku - Empathy

Updated on February 21, 2012

Conscious of another's being and circumstances....

There are degrees of empathy, but no substitutes.
There are degrees of empathy, but no substitutes. | Source

True love is true empathy.



You can never hide.

I feel what you feel always.

Look and glance suffice.



Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • Perspycacious profile image
      Author

      Demas W Jasper 5 years ago from Today's America and The World Beyond

      The nice thing about Haikus as Hubs is: everyone has time to read them! And you are each appreciated for doing so, and the longer time it took to comment.

    • raciniwa profile image

      raciniwa 5 years ago from Naga City, Cebu

      great Haiku..

    • Gypsy Rose Lee profile image

      Gypsy Rose Lee 5 years ago from Riga, Latvia

      Voted up and amen to that!

    • PurvisBobbi44 profile image

      PurvisBobbi44 5 years ago from Florida

      Words of truth. I voted awesome, and I am going to read some more of your hubs. I supect they will be food for thought, and will make my Southern brain recharge.

      Thanks for sharing.

      Bobbi

    • Victoria Lynn profile image

      Victoria Lynn 5 years ago from Arkansas, USA

      I love this haiku! I have felt that kind of empathy for others and have been fortunate enough to have others in my life who seem to feel that way for me. I love the line "Look and glance suffice." That says it all. Voted beautiful, awesome, and up!

    • writer20 profile image

      Joyce Haragsim 5 years ago from Southern Nevada

      Yes, very true, voted up.

    • savanahl profile image

      savanahl 5 years ago

      I love your Haiku poems. They're so powerful and brilliant.

    • Deborah Brooks profile image

      Deborah Brooks Langford 5 years ago from Brownsville,TX

      another great awesome haiku... be blessed today.. voted up

      Debbie

    • Perspycacious profile image
      Author

      Demas W Jasper 5 years ago from Today's America and The World Beyond

      Thank you for following my Haiku poems. Does this one deal with nature? Quite frankly, empathy is a true flower of nature. Without empathy few of us would be able to notice the beauty of a flower, the magnificence of clouds, the majesty of a stand of evergreens, or the music of a brook. We empathize with nature, also, but more importantly, with our brothers and sisters (of all circumstances)who are also children of a loving Heavenly Father. I am glad you could also find some empathy for this lowly, short poem.

    • picklesandrufus profile image

      picklesandrufus 5 years ago from Virginia Beach, Va

      yes, sometimes a look is all it takes. Beautiful and poignant. vote up

    • HattieMattieMae profile image

      HattieMattieMae 5 years ago from Limburg, Netherlands

      Yay, in my field I can agree, not many people do have empathy for the poor. Even if they get they have to help themselves unless someone lends a hand whether a job, or assistance there is no way for people to leave poverty. Which comes to the question what is worse a man with a spirit of poverty lacking the need to help others and having no empathy or sympathy, or the poor that are rich in spirit and have nothing.

    • Perspycacious profile image
      Author

      Demas W Jasper 5 years ago from Today's America and The World Beyond

      Thank you HMM. Empathy is so important. Gov. Romney's remark on "the very poor" clearly raises the question of just how much empathy he has learned to have for the less fortunate. As an LDS bishop he has certanly dealt with providing help for the poorest members of his congregation. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has special resources for helping such members. He has surely tapped thos resources to help the church's members faced with hardships. Saying he is most concerned for the 95% of Americans between the most affluent and the very poorest, raises the question of how many of our very poorest are in that remaining 5%.

      His father, George Romney made a statement that cost him a viable candidacy when he said that he had been "brainwashed" on the war in Vietnam. I felt Gov. Romney was conscious of how that one remark had branded his father as someone who could be "brainwashed" and how that one remark had ended his father's candidacy. I was sure that part of his seeming "woodenness" was tied to being careful not to stumble into such a gaffe. I am afraid he has.

    • HattieMattieMae profile image

      HattieMattieMae 5 years ago from Limburg, Netherlands

      Very True! :)