Being a Writer: Pros and Cons
Many people have a lot of different opinions as to what makes a writer and what doesn't. This can make it hard to define pros and cons of being one. After all, if you aren't sure what a writer is, then it can get really complicated. There are a lot of different things that are great about being a writer, but it sure isn't all glory!
What is a Writer?
Some will only call you a writer if you make a living doing what you do. Others will call you a writer if you make some money writing. Still others think that a writer is something inside of you. It has to do with a passion for putting words on paper.
Then there is whether or not what you write makes you a writer. Some people think of Stephen King when they think writer and are only really counting those that write fiction. Others think of writing books. Some poetry and still some others articles.
For the purpose of this, we will count anyone who writes anything with the hopes of making money from it. You could be an online writer, a freelancer, or someone who is searching for how to make money with the pieces that you write.
- A creative outlet- For those who love to write, writing is a great way to get out what is inside of them. Whether writing a book, poem, article, or technical piece it is a form of creative work.
- Satisfaction- Whether your writing is read online or in print it is very satisfying. It feels good to get something out and to have others read it, especially if they like it!
- Challenging- Writing is often a challenge. Making all of your ideas fit and flow into a piece can be hard work.
- The Hand of "god"- As a writer, you are the "god" of your own world. You can make beautiful scenes or nightmares. You can shape the world to fit your needs and the people in them are yours to manipulate.
- Set Your Own Hours- Many people jump on the work from home or work for yourself aspect that being a writer can provide. However, this is only partially true. After all, deadlines can make them long hours, and having a job outside the home can make them cramped hours.
- Writer Pros & Cons | Expert Village Videos
Adrian Smith has several videos on being a writer at Expert Village. Several of them are definitely worth checking out. He covers his view of the pros and cons as well as a wide variety of helpful suggestions.
Most writers have a bigger list of cons then of pros and only continue to write because it is what makes them feel whole inside or they have hope for a better outlook.
- Poor Financial Compensation- We all know that J.K. Rowling and Stephen King have no problem with their financial situations. However, 99% of writers will be struggling authors. We have a clear picture of the poor artist, but for many it is a similar situation for the writer as well forcing most to get a "real" job as well.
- Rejection- A writer trying to make money from their work will get rejected. This isn't as big of an issue online, but still happens depending on the site that you use. However, in order to make a significant amount of money from your writing, you will have to hear the word "no" several times, especially if trying to publish a book.
- Lonely Lifestyle- Most writers spend a great deal of time writing, editing, and trying to sell their work. It isn't easy and it is often lonely. The process is one that can't be done with others and this leaves you staying home while your friends have fun, missing out on activities, and often missing your family as well.
- Selling What You Have Written- If you want to make money with your writing you have to sell it and promote it. Whether trying to get it published in print or trying to get it read online, it takes work and energy to get it making money.
There are things that people need to know when trying to make money with their writer. While there are opportunities online for writers, it is a whole different ball game than with other markets. It is important to learn what you need to do to succeed as a writer working online.
While the Internet has a lot of advantages for people looking to make money from their writing, there are a lot of other options. It is also important to note that it is a lot harder to make money from fiction online then it is for information based writing. For those seeking to write fiction and make money then you need a great guide to help you get published and make money with your writing.
These are just a few of the Pros and Cons to being a writer. Often it is about the person who is writing. It is a good idea to sit down and make your own list if you are looking at being a writer. You do have to keep in mind that while you may be a good writer, many of us don't make the money that J.K. Rowling and Stephen King manage! Good Luck!