- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Books & Novels
Best Quotes From If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Mia Hall, a cello prodigy had a choice to make. Scratch that, she had the most difficult choice to make, a choice that would change her life- stay with her love Adam, who was a rock singer or go to Julliard to become a cello player and follow her dreams. Going to Julliard meant staying away from Adam, and living with him meant not following her dreams.
But before she can decide what she wants to do with her life, she meets with a car accident which kills all of her family- her parents and her little brother. She now hovers over the line between life and death. She somehow comes out of her body and watches as her loved ones mourn the loss, as the doctors work on her damaged body, as Adam creates a fiasco just so he can see her. She sees it all, but there is no way for her to tell them that she is watching them.
So as her body lies in the hospital, she roams the corridors, trying to decide whether to live, or to let go. Is a world where she has no family worth living? Can she leave Adam, her grandparents and her dream behind?
That’s all for you to find out, but I must tell you that the book has the power to bring you to tears. It did make me cry, at least. And also all of the other people I know who have read it. This small book can make questions about life in your mind. It is wonderfully written by Gayle Forman, so is its sequel- Where She went.
Coming to the topic, this book has many beautiful and wonderful quotes that have been mentioned below.
15. "All I can think about is how fucked up it would be for your life to end here now. I mean I know that your life is fucked up no matter what now forever. And I'm not dumb enough to think that I can undo that, that anyone can. But I can't wrap my mind around the notion of you not getting old, having kids, going to Juilliard, getting to play that cello in front of a huge audience, so that they can get the chills the way I do every time I see you pick up your bow, every time I see you smile at me."
14. "If you stay, I'll do whatever you want. I'll quit the band, go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I'll do that, too. I was talking to Liz and she said maybe coming back to your old life would be too painful, that maybe it'd be easier for you to erase us. And that would suck, but I'd do it. I can lose you like that if I don't lose you today. I'll let you go. If you stay."
It's so easy to make promises,right Adam? Not so easy to stick by them. Wanna know if he does? Then read Where She Went. It's awesome.
13. "This is the you I like. You definitely dressed sexier and are, you know, blond, and that's different. But the you who are tonight is the same you I was in love with yesterday, the same you I'll be in love with tomorrow. I love that you're fragile and tough, quiet and kick-ass."
When Mia dresses up like Joan Jett and a couple of other rock stars that her parents and Adam idolize just for Adam, this is the reply she gets from her boyfriend. I really like this guy.
12. "But I'd understand if you chose love, Adam love, over music love. Either way you win. And either way you lose. What can I tell you? Love's a bitch."
Mia's mother tells her this while she faces the dilemma. Cool mom, huh?
11. "I have a feeling that once you live through something like this, you become a little bit invincible."
10. "It's quiet now. So quite you can almost hear other people's dreams."
9. "Fake it 'till you make it."
8. "I'm not choosing, but I'm running out of fight."
No one blames you Mia.
7. "Don't be scared...women can handle the worst kind of pain. You'll find out one day."
6. "I'm not sure this is a world I belong in anymore. I'm not sure that I want to wake up."
5. "She didn't care that people called her a bitch. 'It's just anther word for a feminist', she told me."
4. "And that's just it, isn't it? That's how me manage to survive the loss. Because love, it never dies, it never goes away, it never fades, so long as you hang on to it. Love can make you immortal."
3. "I don't really care. I shouldn't have to care. I shouldn't have to work this hard. I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard."
2. "Life is a big fat gigantic stinking mess. That's the beauty of it, too, you know?"
1. "Sometimes you make choices in life, sometimes choices make you."
True, isn't it? This is my favorite one.
The author of If I stay and a couple of other books first started writing for Seventeen Magazine and later became a freelance writer for Cosmopolitan Magazine, Elle Magazine, Glamorous Magazine and others. Her debut book was a travelogue called 'You Can't Get There From Here: A Year On The Fringes Of A Shrinking World'.
If I Stay was released in 2009 and won two awards. The sequel, Where She Went was released in 2011.
The list of her books are:
You Can't Get There From Here: A Year On The Fringes Of A Shrinking World
Sisters In Sanity
If I Stay
Where She Went
Just One Day
Just One Year
Just One Night
I Was Here
Have/ Will you read If I Stay? Did you like it?
Where She Went
The sequel to the amazing If I Stay, Where She Went follows the story of Adam and Mia after Mia's accident that kills her family. The book is from Adam's point of view this time and starts off at a totally unexpected note. But no, I won't tell you what, you will have to read it yourself. Gayle Forman won't let you down in the second book. Written as beautifully as the first part, this book will narrate all of Adam's struggles as a rock star and of course as Mia's boyfriend.
The movie is directed by R.J Cutler and released on August 22, 2014.
Chloe Grace Mortez plays Mia while Jamie Blackley was Adam Wilde. Mireille Enos plays the role of Kat, Mia's mother and Joshua Leonard was Denny, Mia's father.