Common Traits of a Conservative
There are so many misconceptions of conservatives. This article is to highlight some common traits of conservatives. Perhaps, this will give people a better understanding of where conservative thinking comes from.
- Feb. 2019
What are some common traits of Conservatives?
1. Conservatives are color blind. We don’t see skin color as a distinction. We use the person’s actions and behavior and character to judge that person.
2. Conservatives are generous. We believe in helping others to help themselves. We believe it is the job of individuals to help their family, their friends and their colleagues.The government should be the last resort to help those who are defenseless, those who are disabled, those who have mental illness...and those who cannot work to help themselves. We are a compassionate society.
3. Conservatives are pragmatic. We want to see solutions. We don’t mind trying different tacks. We also don’t mind where the ideas originate. If it is a good idea, no matter who proposes it, if it has merit, we would support it.
4. Conservatives are efficient. We like doing things that are simple. We don’t like complex grey zones. We don’t want a bureaucracy. We want individual initiatives instead of a federal program.
5. Conservatives are consistent. We will treat each group with the same scrutiny.
6. Conservative are principled. We will abide by a set of beliefs. That includes the Constitution, our faith and religion, our belief in self reliance and freedom of the individual.
7. Conservatives belief in justice. We are law abiding. Equal justice under the law. If a law is unjust, we work to change that law. We don’t pick and choose which law to follow.
8. Conservatives support a strong military for self defense. The idea of peace through strength.
9. Conservatives are hard working. We belief in the value of work. Not just to make a living but God designed humans to fulfill a need. Even if you are independently wealth, you need a job. Work keep a person grounded and connected to society. Work can take on many forms. Volunteering is work.
10. Conservatives are fair minded. We believe in treating everyone fairly. However, we are also forgiving. It is the Christian way. Everyone makes mistakes. We are human. If someone makes a mistake or did wrong. It is better to forgive and move on. Not that there won’t be consequences. But, not to hold a grudge.
Does this summary surprise you?
What is your impression of conservatives?
What have you been told about conservatives?
How many of the traits I defined are consistent with your own belief?
© 2019 Jack Lee