- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
Great Quotes to Live By!
Great Quotes to Live by
I have always enjoyed quick phrases or expressions that make you think, make you smile, laugh, and even change your life in a very small way. For the past few months I’ve been listening to people and the expressions that they use in normal conversations and I started thinking back when I was a child and all the ones I grew up with. I remember my mother only buying Salada tea. This was because she liked the sayings on the back of the tag. I used to read them and thought nothing about them at the time. But later in life, I recall seeing them as quotes.
Do we still use the same phrases and expressions that we used back about 50 - 60 years ago, or do we have new ones that replaced the old ones? The answer to that question is yes and yes!
This is a collection of quotes and sayings from the past and present that may remind you of some of your own. Feel free to write back to me and share some of yours. I’d love to read them. These are great quotes to live by.
Sayings That Make You Think!
I do remember as a youngster growing up in the 1950s through the 1980s, and the expressions my dad would say and at the time I didn’t understand them or “get it”, but later I did “get it” and to this day find myself saying these more and more. Especiallly, with the younger generation. These are not high end philosophical quotes, but ones that I still appreciate today.
- Today is tomorrow’s yesterday!
- It is better to have and not need than to need and not have.
- The opportunity of a lifetime lasts the lifetime of the opportunity.
- Things happen for a reason.
- I am the boss in this family and I have my wife’s permission to say so!
- Lectures - The mind can absorb what the fanny can endure!
- In Music - Half of a Tuba is a One-ba!
- ‘Smile’– it makes people wonder what you’re up to!
Phrases parents say to their children.
Most of us that have children can relate to this list most definitely. We’ve either heard these expressions at one time or another and have used them more than once. I can relate to each one of these because the first time that I ever heard any of them came out of my mothers mouth. And like most parents I used them on my children. Why? Because they are good and they work.
- Stop that crying or I’ll give you something to cry about!
- Because I said so!
- Go clean your room!
- If you keep making that face, it’ll freeze that way.
- Quiet, I can’t even hear myself think.
- You’ll understand when you get older.
- As long as you live in this house you live by my rules.
- Are your legs broken?
- If your friend jumped off the roof, would you?
- Shut the door, were you born in a barn?
- Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.
- I’m not asking, I’m telling.
- You better wipe that look off your face.
- You better be sleeping
- You just wait until your father gets home
- You are slower than molasses running up a hill inJanuary
- I’m too old of a cat to be fooled by a kitten
“I wish my wallet came with free refills“.
Don’ts said by parents.
- Don’t pick your nose.
- Don’t put that in your mouth. You don’t know where it has been.
- Don’t run in the house.
- Don’t talk with your mouth full.
- Don’ t walk away when I am talking to you.
- Don’t cross your eyes, they will freeze that way.
- Don’t use that tone with me Mr./Missy!
- Don’t make me come over there!
- Don’t touch that.
If you’ve been married for sometime you will agree that there’s a great deal of give-and-take to make a marriage work. These are a few of what I call “The funnier side quotes of marriage“.
- 90% of being married is all about shouting “What? from another room.
- Happy wife happy life.
- My prince is not coming on a white horse… He’s obviously riding a turtle and definitely lost.
- My wife told me the other day that I don’t take her to expensive places anymore, so I took her to the gas station
- I now pronounce you man and wife, you may now change your Facebook status.
- Behind every successful man is a surprised woman.
- My wife ran off with my best friend, and I miss him.
- Marriage is a great institution… But who wants to be institutionalized.
Laughing is Healthy
Funny Sayings About Life!
Like most people, I love the laugh. Something as silly as one of these expressions can make my day and yours too I imagine. I look for any type of an expression that is funny and “hits home” to me smile or laugh.
- Of all the things lost in my life I miss my mind the most.
- Don’t take any wooden nickels.
- Children should be seen and not heard
- If life doesn’t give you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna be terrible!
- Be the person your dog thinks you are!
- God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face.
- Never let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.
- Death is hereditary.
- Yes I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.
- Wear shorts sleeves. Support your right to bare arms
- When you’re right, no one remembers. When you’re wrong, no one forgets.
- Take my advice – I’m not using it!
- Don’t blink, the world just might pass you by.
- When nothing goes right, go left.
- Laugh and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.
Quotes From Famous People
Sometimes famous people come up with a few very good quotes. Below is a list of some of those.
- Live long and prosper - Spock
- A closed mouth gathers no feet – Sam Horn
- A friend in need is a pest – Arthur Daley
- Hard work never killed anybody, but why take the chance. – Edgar Bergen
- Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy – Ben Franklin
- I never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain
- Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. – Albert Einstein
- The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it’s limits. – Albert Einstein
I grew up in a very musical family. My dad was a great musician and inspired me to become a musician. The following expressions have a lot to do with why I got into music.
- Music is the universal language.
- Practice, Practice and more practice.
- No skills without drills.
- If music be the food of love, play on. – William Shakespeare
- God gave us music… that we might pray without words
- You are the music while the music lasts. – T.S. Eliot
- It’s easy to play a musical instrument: All you have to do is touch the right keys at the right time and the instrument will play itself. – Johann Sebastian Bach
- My music is best understood by children and animals. – Igor Stravinsky
- The job of the conductor is the wave his arms and when the music stops turn around and acknowledge the applause.
- Music is poetry with personality.
- Music helps me forget about the world I live in.
- Let the music do the talking.
My dad once said to me - “Cheer up! Things could be worse – so I cheered up and sure enough, things got worse”.
I found these through other people and wanted to include them in this collection. They definitely makes sense and worth looking at every once in a while.
- You can do anything but not everything
- Creativity is intelligence having fun
- Hey you! Too much thinking and not enough doing
- It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you don’t stop
- You get out of life what you put into it
- Chase your dreams not people
- You can’t overdose on music
Sayings about work
Everyone can relate to work expressions. Whether it’s work conditions, your boss or your colleagues. We always have something to say around the water cooler. These are some of my favorites.
- I’m not bossy I just have better ideas.
- The speed of the boss is the speed of the team.
- No man goes before his time – unless the boss leaves early.
- Lead, follow or get out of the way!
- The boss inspires fear; The leader inspires enthusiasm.
- If you think your teacher is tough wait until you get a boss. He doesn’t have tenure.
- Why is Monday so far from Friday and Friday so close to Monday?
- It’s hard to soar with the Eagles when you’re working for a turkey.
i hope that you enjoyed some of these quotes. Maybe one or two you remember while a few others are new to you. If these remind you of a few that you would like to share, please feel free to leave a comment or two. Have a great day!
© 2017 Reginald Thomas