- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Magazines, Newspapers & Letters
How to Become a Baseball Writer
Being a baseball writer is not a joke, although being one is enjoying and rewarding it requires commitment and dedication. You should have an impeccable writing skill and as much as possible your work must be free from faulty grammar. As a baseball writer you must be able to have a full grasp of the game as well as the rules and regulations.
You must be familiar with the statistics used here and with the players whether they are stars or bench-warmers.
Here are some tips on how to become a consummate baseball writer:
- You must be familiar with the jargon used in the sport of baseball. Examples of jargon words are home field (home court), hill (pitching mound), ERA, homers, bullpens, strikeouts and the like. You can be familiar with the different words that are used on baseball by virtue of reading stories and articles about the sport.
- You must have tons of patience on making research. You must be able to whip up a research on the different players, the statistics of the competing teams, odds, streak, injuries and the list goes on, to come up with the raw data you need to make a decent article.
- You must pepper your work with details and information that the readers needs. Highlight the players that helped their team win the game. You may tell about the lackadaisical performance of the stars. You may also add more flavors to your write-ups by paying attention to the errors and miscues committed by players that lead to the fall of the losing team.
- You must also concentrate on the streak (whether winning or losing) of the competing teams, to inform the people about their recent games.
- Give some importance too about the starting pitchers as well as the top offensive players of each team. This will give the readers an idea on which team has the lead even if the game hasn’t started yet.
- You can also highlight the recent milestones of a team or a player.
- You can also highlight the sterling defensive plays dished out by the winning team.
- You can also tell something about the recent adjustments made by the coaching staffs and/or managers.
- Pay attention to details.
- Double check your work by means of proofreading.
- Be fair and unbiased with your write-ups.
- Do not veer away from the story of the game.
- There you have it folks some cues and tips on how to become a baseball I hope this article was helpful to you.
- Love your work since this will resonate on the readers.
- Feel free to give your feedback on the space provided below.
- Natural passion for the sports is helpful too since this will inspire you to write a baseball with zest and gusto.
- You may also travel back in time and give the readers about the head-to-head matches of the teams as well as the fine and awful performance of some of the players.
- And last but definitely no the least, you must be able to highlight the important happenings that transpired on the game.
That's it folks, thanks a lot for the read.
My 13th hub in the HubChallenge.