- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- How to Write
How to Become a Freelance Writer?
There are three main steps.
1. Identifying your expertise.
2. Creating a portfolio
3. Finding ways to earn
"If your work affects people, you are a good writer!"
1. Explore and define yourself.
Take a diary and note down about your interests, career, experiences and personality traits
Next, write three things about life that inspire you. For example, social service, art, religion, spirituality etc.
Now, list three things you dream of. These might be like, travelling, being popular, financial success etc.
From the compilation of the above lists, you will get your,"Expertise".
"Define your niche area before starting to write to avoid confusion and wastage of time."
2. Prepare a beautiful set of work samples.
- Sit in a quiet place everyday and think about your niche area and jot down the ideas that come into your mind. This has to be practised everyday and remember to be patient and consistent.
- With time you will be more clear in your thoughts and agendas. The quality of the articles that you write will also improve with each passing day.
- Keep your articles safe in your online drives and your personal diaries.
- You can also take ideas from others by telling them your interest area.
- Be updated with the rules as well, for example avoiding repetition of keywords, writing in correct format etc.
Gives you matter to think and write about.
You are able to submit your work to publications or publish some of it yourself.
Finding Ways to Earn
Gives you employment!
3. Earn with your writing skills!
When you have a couple of your sample work you are ready to apply for submissions or starting a blog of your self to come in the limelight. There are two ways to earn:
1. Submitting your work to good publications and blogs online.
2. Making a blog account. For example, you can start by creating a blogger account and when it has significance views and popularity, you can link Google Adsense with that. the latter offers you revenue because it places ads on your site. In my personal experience, Hubpages was good enough to give me a great platform to write as well. All the best!
© 2017 Nitika Mehra