- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Magazines, Newspapers & Letters
Ideas and Information on Bird-watching.
- Bird-watching has been around since the earlier times of the ancient Egyptians. Whereas, birds have long fascinated people with their mating calls, magnificent colors, and their ability to migrate to other parts of the world. This enjoyable outdoor activity or hobby has also inspired many famous artists and writers through the generations, to capture the charm and beauty of wild birds in their paintings and literature: One of the most famous painters of birds was John James Audubon, born Jean Rabin; April 26, 1785 – Jan 27, 1851. American ornithologist, naturalist, and painter. Distinguished for his extensive studies; documenting all types of American birds and for his detailed illustrations that portrayed birds within their natural surroundings. His most important work, a color – plate book entitled The Birds of America (1827-1839) is today considered one of the finest ornithological works ever completed.
Audubon’s Carolina Pigeon.
- The most pleasant thing concerning bird-watching is being able to experience the outside world, along with all its natural beauty. To start bird-watching, the only thing you’ll need is an interest in wild birds and the rest will come naturally. For instance, a lot of people just like to view wild birds in their garden. This can be easily achieved through hanging up a bird feeder as a treat ‘that will surely’ attract wild birds into your garden. Or by providing a birdhouse where wild birds can wash and feed at their leisure.
- The most commonly known wild garden birds are the Robin, Great tit, Goldfinch and Chaffinch. Some people even like to provide a nesting home for their visitors. Whereas, these same wild birds have been known to return from one season to the next. You can also install a bird-box camera that allows you to monitor nest building, eggs hatching and the chicks growing. You can even install a security camera that gives you color images in the day and in flared images at night. These can easily be attached to your TV or computer monitor, allowing you to view and record all this wonderful happening within your own home. Furthermore, these appliances come with cordless fittings and are easily assemble ready for use, that can be purchased online at any bird-box camera website.
The Common Gold Finch Feeding.
The Out Doors.
- Venturing to the outdoors can prove to be extremely rewarding for any birdwatcher. For example, in today’s world there are many wildlife reservations that allow and encourage bird-watching. Simply by going on a nature walk through the woods, in the countryside, along the riverside or lake will provide you with the opportunity to observe different types of wild bird activity. Firstly, this can be achieved by viewing your encounter with wild birds through the naked eye, and at the same time familiarizing yourself with bird spots or places that normally have a lot of wild bird activity.
- These are the first steps on becoming a birder, which is the technical term for someone that seriously pursues the hobby of bird-watching. Whereas, birding is the term use for the hobby in which people enjoy the challenge of bird study, listing, or other general activities concerned with wild bird life. Moreover, the term birdwatcher is used to describe a person that watches birds for their own satisfaction, enjoyment or any reason at all, and should not be used to refer to the person that pursues the hobby of bird-watching, who is otherwise Known as a birder.
- The essential equipment needed to start birding includes, a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope with a tripod, notepad and your preferred field guide, normally this is a small handbook with illustrations of birds, range maps and text that describes all known native or migrating birds within your region or state. Additionally, there are manufactures today that offer special binoculars and spotting scopes for birding, known as binocular-camera’s which allow you to capture images of birds while observing their habitat. Some binocular-cameras can also record video clips, which enables you with the ability to capture the behavior of wild birds in their natural habitat. There are also cameras equipped with a telescopic lens that fits directly onto a tripod, which can create greater stability towards a better shot. What's more, these items can easily be purchased on any birding binocular-camera website.
- Sound equipment is another essential item used for birding. This is usually referred to as a songbird recorder, which is an ultra-compact digital recorder with stereo sound quality; small enough to fit into the palm of your hand. Whereas sound recognition can assist a birder in locating, watching, identifying and sexing wild birds. This can also be purchased on any songbird recorder website.
- A bird-watching hide is also extremely important towards executing a successful birding exploration. This is a kind of tent, hut or cover used to camouflage the birder and any equipment in use. This can also be achieved from a bird-watching tower, that has a 360% radius that towers over the landscape. Giving you a full advantage of being able to view your entire surroundings.
- The list of all bird species recorded in Britain, as recognized by the British Ornithologists Union; amount to (603 as form the 1st of January 2017). This recording of bird species is in general like that of Europe, although Britain has fewer breeding species. For instance, Europe is known to be home to more than 530 regular occurring wild bird species, totaling an estimated breeding population of approximately two billion pairs. Also, millions of these birds migrate through the continent and route to Africa, and millions of other birds form the Arctic or Russia spend the winter in Europe. At this present time 53 or 10% of these wild bird species are of global conversation concern, which are listed as threatened or near threatened on the IUCN red list. Varying from species common, single Island, and to widespread species arising in many countries.
- In the USA Several common birds like the house sparrow, the rock dove, the European starling, and the mute swan are species of wild bird that have been introduce. Also, the list for wild birds 2017 for the Country or region of North America (US+CA) all 50 US States, Canada, ST-Pierre and Miquelon, amount to 1213 species, 132 introduce species and 109 species globally threatened.
- The HTML list of species worldwide 2017: amounts to 10,694 extent species. This also includes (20,074) subspecies and proposed splits. Along with records of 158 extinct species of birds worldwide.
The European Starling USA.
Sighting Rare Birds.
- In today’s world, with a new electronic age on the upswing, along with the up and coming worldwide networks, it has become a lot easier for birders to convey their opinions and sightings through the internet, than it would be by mail post or telephone. Plus, the pursuit of a previously located wild bird is otherwise referred to in Britain and Europe as twitching, and in North America it is more often called chasing. Which in general terms means that if a rare bird stays long enough at the reported location, for people to see it, then the bird is twitch able or chase able. For instance, if you are the kind of birder that likes to explore your birding, by pursuing rarely sighted birds, then you become a twitcher or chaser.
© 2017 George Gormley