- Books, Literature, and Writing
Indie Author Day 2016 - Interview with RV Reyes
About the Author
Name (real and/or pen): R. V. Reyes
Name(s) of the book(s) you’ve published and link(s) to purchase: Jeweler's Mark - A Love & Diamonds Mystery https://www.amazon.com/dp/1536939501
How long you have been a published author: Counting my poet years- 20 .
1. What made you decide to become an indie author? What do you like to write about?
As a Latina writer writing Latina characters, I found a lot of lip service but little action to the call for more diversity in traditional publishing. So, I DYI-ed it!
2. How did you publish your first book?
I had it professionally edited and found a great cover designer. I, also, used my designer for formatting.
3. Did you ever try to submit to traditional publishers? If so, what was your experience like?
Yes, I did the agent rounds. I got positive comments but no offers for representation.
4. How did you market your first book? Has your process changed with subsequent books?
I am still in the first months of marketing, Jeweler's Mark.
5. How do you support other indie authors?
I buy indie books especially when I've met the author. I retweet and share. I also do interviews on my blog if the author is a Florida resident. My interview series is called "To Live & Write in FLA."
6. What responses have you received from telling people that you are a writer?
I always get a positive response and sometimes even awe. Most people can't imagine coming up with a story to fill a full-length book.
7. What/who has been your biggest support as an indie author?
The family of mystery writers I have from membership in writing groups and my friends, of course.
8. Quote from a positive review of your work.
"Strong characters, crime, jewels, and romance. This has all that and more. I cannot wait for more and can't wait to see where Gigi's romance goes from here. Hopefully she and Lou can stay out of trouble!"