- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing»
- Creative Writing
Five Stop Stories - Flash Fiction Opportunities for Writer's
Opportunity for Writers
Writing short stories has become quiet a phenomenum in recent years, and writing short short stories is growing in writing circles with suggestions to try your hand at nailing a story in 140 characters the length of a tweet. Sometimes known as flash fiction it is rising in popularity with many sites and opportunities available on a google search for short stories writers.
When Time Matters
It is no surprise that short stories are popular in the busy lives that people lead when time is a precious commodity that some wish they could buy. Flash fiction has taken off exponentially on sites such as Smash Words, Lulu and Amazon and are providing a niche for time poor readers. Short stories are perfect for many people and provide a short condensed way to read for the reluctant reader; for those that feel they don't have time for a 100/200 thousand word novel and for people who only do their reading on their daily commute.
Unique Creative Concept
One interesting idea came out of the UK which has taken short story writing to a new level. While surfing the net for freelance writing sites and writing competitions I came upon a website called 'Five Stop Stories'. I thought it to be such a great idea that I decided to write a hub about it to let others know about this creative site and it's benefits.
The idea came to UK writer Ruth Heald in 2010 while commuting on the London underground on her way to a London writer's group (btw the London tube has got to be the best transport system across the globe, surely). Ruth thought that it would be cool to write a short story that would fit in with a daily commute and which could begin and end in the five stops it took to make the journey to work.
And so began the unique concept of 'Five Stop Stories' to be read in five stops on a daily commute on the London underground.
Five Stop Stories
- Is an electronic publisher.
- Which specializes in short stories.
- Looks for new talent and showcases new writers.
- Holds monthly writing competitions.
- Is open to both UK and international writers.
- New writers have been featured and discovered on the mobile app and kindle book.
- They have developed a specific app so that the stories can be read on Iphones and Ipads or on kindle as an Ebook.
- The stories can be read on kindle by downloading them from Amazon and on the phone and ipad app downloaded from the itunes store.
- For short story writers it is a fantastic opportunity to 'get your work out there'
- Short stories are accepted up to 3000 words in length.
- Must be received by the last day of the month.
- Has a 4 pound entry fee
- And a 50 pound prize offered
- These and other criteria are available on the website at http://www.fivestopstory.com/contactus.html
If you haven't taken the challenge yet and written a short story or entered into short story competitions it is worth your consideration. There is much to be gained with some competitions offering substantial prize money, a chance to be discovered as a writer and your story published.
There are many opportunities out there for writer's and a quick Google search brings up a variety. But before you enter you need to take the following points into consideration;
- Each competitions has it's own specific requirements. It will only benefit you if you follow them. For example if the application form says less than 1500 words it means 1499 and less not 1501.
- If they ask you to email your manuscript in do not include it in the body of the email unless they specifically ask you to. Always send in as an attachment to your email.
If it's a hard copy that is asked for then a hard copy is needed. It doesn't matter why. Send in a paper copy of your manuscript . And never send an email copy as well. They appreciate people doing specifically what is asked for.
If you are thinking about writing short stories and entering competitions try some or all of the competitions listed below. And Good Luck!
- Short Story Contest. Fish Publishing competition.
Have your short story published in The Annual Fish Anthology by being one of ten selected by this year's judge.
- The New Writer Prizes Page
Cinnamon Press - from Writing Awards to Mini-competitions Cinnamon Press has a range of competitions to help writers establish a writing profile. OUR MAJOR WRITING AWARDS take place twice each year for novelists, short story writers and poets and you
- Writing Competitions | Poetry Competition | The Bridport Prize
The mission of the Bridport Prize is to encourage emerging writers and promote literary excellence through its writing competition structure.