Difference Between Its Vs. It's: Explanation, Examples, and Quiz
It's a Pencil with Its Tip Sharpened
Which to Use: It's or Its
Its vs. It's is one of those tough grammar choices you have to figure out or just know the rule. It's something that can make you second guess yourself, wondering if you need to go back to school to learn to write again. Guessing between whether to use it's or its can make you appear uneducated or like you do not know English well.
It's a common grammar mistake that causes trouble for many people, so don't beat yourself up over it. The explanation of which version to use is seems simple enough if you already know the meaning, but it can be extremely difficult when you don't understand. Look below for examples of its and it's, explanation of when to use each, and a quiz to test your understanding.
Difference between It's and Its
It's raining outside.
Possessive of "It"
Its resolution is HD
Examples of It's in Sentences
Here are some examples of It's used in sentences to help you know the difference between it's vs. its.
- It's a nice day to have a picnic today.
- Tell me when it's ten o' clock, so I can start studying.
- It's hard to stay awake when it's raining outside.
- Ask me why it's smelly in here.
- It's too late to be out here in the middle of nowhere.
Examples of Its in Sentences
Here are some examples of "Its" used in sentences. Use these to help you understand that "its" is the possessive form of it.
- Its paw was hurt by the rough pavement.
- This microphone is great. Its response is flat and smooth.
- The statue is so tall, its shadow is a mile long.
- The song is singable, and its rhythm is danceable.
- I think this houseplant has outgrown its pot.
More Help with Grammar
Other Common Grammar Mistakes
- Whose Vs. Who's: Common Grammar Mistake
Difference between who's vs. whose. Examples of who's and whose in a sentence. A quiz to test your use of who's and whose.