My Pet Peeves...What Are Yours?
What does pet peeve mean
Before we begin let's get the definition of a pet peeve. A pet peeve is something that's particularly bothersome to you, even though to others it's not really a big deal. In other words an annoyance, for you. I would go so far as to say it would be something that you see or
experience often enough for it to matter to you, a pattern as it were. For instance, one of my daughter's pet peeves is, she hates to see a dating or married couple in a restaurant sit on the same side of the table, but that doesn't bother me. (She's so peeved by it, when she sees it she spends the better part of 5 minutes ranting about it), her reaction makes me laugh. Even though that's not one of mine, I do have a plethora of them.
Here are mine
I'll give you only ten of mine, lest you think I'm fraught with hangups. Feel free to leave yours in the comments. Now if you find yourself in some of these, don't despair, I'm sure I'll find myself in some of yours. Remember it's all in good fun, so don't be offended.
These are in no particular order as to their importance to me, I'm listing them as they come to mind.
- People who stand in fast food lines talking to one another or otherwise occupied until they get to the counter. At which time they begin to try to figure out what they want to eat, and even then questioning the server about the menu. And behind them a long line of patrons with their orders already in mind.
- Checkbooks! People who still use them, not that so much as they wait until the merchandise is tallied, then they proceed to go into their pocket or handbag and retrieve the checkbook, write it out, then pull out their ID, while still holding the line up, at which time they proceed to balance their checkbook,(even asking the date, no less), oblivious to all those impatient people (Me) waiting to be checked out too. Get with it folks, this is the electronic age. Plastic, plastic, plastic, not paper. Have you ever thought maybe that's what the checker means when he says "paper or plastic?"
- What about while driving down the street and you look over and see someone trying to perform brain surgery on themselves through their nose. Okay people this is not your private room, it's the open highway. Let's face it we all have to do a little nasal cleaning once in awhile, newsflash a tissue works just as well, blow, blow, blow. I know it's not as much fun, so maybe you can wait until you get home in your own private room. Speaking of driving, what about when you're courteous enough to let
someone in your lane and they don't give you the thank you nod. (Actually this could be two, I'm simply trying to keep it at 10).
- Dirty Bathrooms and Kitchens either in my home or anywhere else. I've been known to quietly tidy up either, unknown to the occupants.(Oops, I just revealed one of my "dirty" little secrets).
- Then there's the person in a crowd of average Joes, instead of using their ten dollar words, they throw around the thousand dollar ones. The next time that happens, stop the conversation, ask the meaning of the word mean, and don't be ashamed, because more than likely most in the crowd most would like to have done so. At the very least you show your humility, and who doesn't like a humble person.
- Oh, and, one of my biggest pet peeves is the person taking over a conversation, not his own and making it his, not listening for the sake of listening, but waiting with bated breath for their turn to tell their side. I just hate it when I'm trying to tell a story and the other person is not really listening, but wants to one up me, or whoever is speaking. Talk show hosts regularly do that. They'll ask a question and proceed to interrupt the answerer with either more questions, or their own interpretation of the answer.
- Now with the new technological age, what about the cell phones. When you're with a companion, and they receive a phone call, instead of not answering it or at least telling the person that they are busy with a face to face person, they proceed to hold a conversation with them completely ignoring you.
- Another one of mine is when you are conversing with someone and they are not giving eye contact, their eyes are either over your shoulder, or in their lap. I had this business associate once that always looked at my head when we talked. Even though I eventually figured it out, (she had problems with eye contact),I still had to go away and check my hair whenever I would finished talking with her.
- What about the person that can't keep a secret! They'll say "she told me not to tell anyone, but I know you won't tell anyone, but if you do, tell them not to tell anyone." A little exaggeration, but you know what I mean. Just think that's what they are doing to you. (I'm just saying).
- I got another one, your favorite song comes on and the person you're with belts out the song, completely out of tune, or maybe in tune, it doesn't matter, you want to hear the performer sing, not them. I got it the next time that happens to you ask the person "who sings that song," as if you don't know and when they answer, say, "then let them sing it." Works on my daughter and even on me a lot. LOL!
That's 10 already? But I have more, alas I said only 10 so I guess I'll have to stick with that. I guess I am fraught with hangups.
Now that I've given you mine, why not share some of yours in your comments. If you have 10, why not make a hub yourself. Enjoy, all in the spirit of fun.
Check out these articles
- Things That Chap My Hide - A Closer Look At My Pet Peeves
A few days ago I read a delightful hub by one of my favorite hubbers, fastfreta. The hub is entitled, My Pet PeevesWhat are Yours? Through the crystal ball of the written word she opened the door to her...
- Most Common Grammar and Spelling Errors: Are You Guilty?
Ms. Puns' guide to common grammar and spelling errors and how to correct them.
- Pet Peeves: Annoying Things People Do and Say
Things people do and say that annoy me; inconsiderate and stupid habits, meaningless phrases, oxymorons, and other pet peeves.