Oscar Wilde was a man of paradoxes, both a man completely of his time and ahead of his time. A gifted playwright, poet, and wit, Wilde was a phenomenon in 19th century England.
- Date of Birth: 16 October 1854, Dublin, Ireland
- Date of Death: 30 November 1900, Paris, France. (acute meningitis, following an ear infection)
- Birth Name: Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde
- Height: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
- Best Known Work: The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, The Ballad of Reading Gaol...
- Website: www.wilde-online.info
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
"Education is an admirable thing. But it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
"Life is too much important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."
"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you."
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."
"I have made an important discovery... that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, produces all the effect of intoxication."
- Ravenna, 1878
- Poems, 1881
- Happy Prince and Other Tales, 1888
- The House of Pomegranates, 1891
- Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and other Stories, 1891
- Intentions, 1891
- The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891
- Salome: A Tragedy in One Act , 1892
- Lady Windermere's Fan, 1893
- A Woman of No Importance, 1893
- Poems in Prose, 1893-94,
- The Sphinx, 1894
- An Ideal Husband, 1895
- The Importance of Being Ernest, 1895
- De Profundis, 1895
- The Canterville Ghost, 1887
- The Ballad of Reading Gaol, 1898
- A Florentine Tragedy, 1908
- Works, 1908-10 (4 vols.)
- Resurgam, 1917
- After Reading, 1921
- After Bwerneval, 1922
- Some Letters from Oscar Wilde to Alfred Douglas, 1924
- Oscar Wilde's Leters to Sarah Bernhardt, 1924
- Sixteen Letters from Oscar Wilde, 1930
- Letters to the Sphinx from Oscar Wilde, 1930
- The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde, 1931
- The Portable Oscar Wilde, 1946
- Complete Works, 1948
- Essays, 1950
- Selected Essays and Poems, 1954
- The Letters of Oscar Wilde, 1962
- Literary Criticism, 1968
- The Artist as Critic, 1969
- More Letters of Oscar Wilde, 1985
- The Soul of Man, and Prison Writings, 1990
- Works, 1993 (3 vols.)
- Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde, 2000