- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Books & Novels
Out Of The Dust by Karen Hesse
Karen Hesse's Amazing Free Verse Novel - Out of the Dust
This amazing book, by Karen Hesse, is the story of how a girl overcame extremely difficult adversities during the dust bowl. Written in free verse poetry, it is quick read, but for so few words, it can truly paint a mental picture. Out of The Dust was the Newbery Medal winner in 1998.
The story is set in Oklahoma during the Great Depression. The rains have stopped and dust bowl set in, and a little girl struggles to survive and thrive while being presented with obstacle after obstacle.
Out Of The Dust - Purchase Your Copy of Out Of The Dust
When Billie Jo is just fourteen she must endure heart-wrenching ordeals that no child should have to face. The quiet strength she displays while dealing with unspeakable loss is as surprising as it is inspiring.
Written in free verse, this award-winning story is set in the heart of the Great Depression. It chronicles Oklahoma's staggering dust storms, and the environmental--and emotional--turmoil they leave in their path. An unforgettable tribute to hope and inner strength.
Your Opinions of Out of the Dust - Write a review, add a comment, or debate someone who disagrees with you.
What did you think?
Karen Hesse - Learn about the author of Out of the Dust
- Karen Hesse (1952-) Biography - Awards, Honors, Writings, Sidelights - Personal, Addresses, Career,
Karen Hesse (1952-) Biography - Awards, Honors, Writings, Sidelights
- Kidsreads.com - Karen Hesse
"Now Livie's gone west,
out of the dust,
on her way to California,
where the wind takes a rest sometimes.
And I'm wondering what kind of friend I am,
wanting my feet on that road to another place,
instead of Livie's."
Out of the Dust Won the Following Awards
This is a great book, and as such has won several distinguished awards:
- Newbery Medal in 1998
- Scott O'Dell Award
- ALA Notable Children's Book
- ALA "Best book" a School Library Journal "best book of the year"
- Booklist "Editors' Choice" award
- IBBY Honor List
- Book Links "Lasting Connection"
- Publishers Weekly "Best Book of the Year"
- New York Public Library "100 Titles for Reading and Sharing" Selection
Dust Bowl Resources - Learn more about this period in American history
- The American Experience | Surviving the Dust Bowl
Surviving the Dust Bowl
- American Exodus Dislocation in the 1930s
An American Exodus is a documentation, in photographs and text, of the mass migrations of the 1930s caused by changes within the regionally varied agricultural traditions throughout the country...
Out of the Dust - Audio Book
Book on CD
Out of the Dust is a great book for class use. It lends itself well to discussion, and gives ample opportunity to include some learning of history. It is a great English/Social Studies crossover lesson.
Lesson Plans - Guides for Teachers and Parents
- Teacher Lesson Plan - Visions In the Dust
This resource for teachers provides lesson plans in which students gain an understanding of Dust Bowl history through the eyes of a child, using Karen Hesse's Out of the Dust - from the Learning Page, the Library of Congress.
- Out of the Dust Literature Unit - activities, vocabulary, quizzes, and more
Out of the Dust Literature Unit
Book Reviews - Online Reviews of Out of the Dust
- Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse Detailed Book Review
Very detailed book reviews.
- Buildingrainbows.com : Out of the Dust
Out of the Dust - Karen Hesse. student book reviews and discussion summary. Read and submit book reviews for books to share with the literature community.
- Books R4 Teens - Book Review - Out of the Dust
BOOK REVIEW - Out of the Dust Hesse, Karen. (1998).
- Out of the Dust - Children's Book Reviews
Out of the Dust - Children's Book Reviews based on Character Traits and Behavior Examples. Protect your Child's Innocence through detailed review ofOut of the Dust.