- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing»
- Word Usage & Grammar
Some Common Mistakes in English Grammar
Do you agree that we commit mistakes while writing English?
There are some common mistakes that we commit while writing. These mistakes recur constantly and we habitually repeat them. A little attention can remove these errors. Here are a few of them-
- The Best- People usually put ‘a’ or ‘very’ before best. While best is always preceded by the.
Incorrect sentence- She is a best girl of mine class.
Correct Sentence- She is the best girl of mine class.
Incorrect sentence- This is very best dress.
Correct Sentence- This is the best dress.
- Direct Indirect Speech- Always keep in mind the sentence must be in same speech. We usually put first half in direct and second half in indirect.
Incorrect Sentence- She said that she will go.
Correct Sentence- She said that she would go.
Incorrect sentence- He said to Ram, what do you want?
Correct Sentence- He said to Ram, “What do you want?”
- Use of for and since- People get confuse while using for and since. For is used to denote period of time, while since is used to denote point of time.
Incorrect Sentence- She is going since two years.
Correct Sentence- She is going for two years.
Incorrect Sentence- I have not met my friend from July 17, 2010.
Correct Sentence- I have not met my friend since July 17, 2010.
Some other Common Mistakes-
- Incorrect Sentence- She is an European.
Correct Sentence- She is a European.
Note- The article ‘a’ is used before a syllable with sound of ‘yu’. For example- a useful book, a one dollar note etc.
- Incorrect Sentence- She is a MP of our constituency.
Correct Sentence- She is an MP of our constituency.
Note- the article ‘an’ is used before consonants beginning with the vowel sound. For example- an MP, an MSW, an M.Sc. , an M.A.
- Incorrect Sentence- She is a brightest student in the class.
Correct Sentence- She is the brightest student in the class.
Note- ‘The’ is used before the superlative forms of degree.
Some more Mistakes-
Incorrect Sentence- There is no place in the compartment.
Correct Sentence- There is no room in the compartment.
Incorrect Sentence- He had a large number of money.
Correct Sentence- He had a large amount of money.
Incorrect sentence- Who is stronger, China or Russia?
Correct Sentence- Which is stronger, China or Russia?
Incorrect Sentence- It is me.
Correct sentence- It is I.
Incorrect Sentence- What is the last news?
Correct Sentence- What is the latest news?
Incorrect Sentence- He gets a less salary.
Correct Sentence- He gets a small salary.
Incorrect Sentence- Torch is useful than lantern.
Correct Sentence- Torch is more useful than lantern.
Incorrect Sentence- Both girls have not come.
Correct Sentence- Neither girl has come.
There are some very common mistakes that we commit. We can keep these things in mind to avoid mistakes and write.