- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing»
- Making Money as a Writer
Ten Simple Rules for Freelance Writing Success
Irrespective of whether freelance writing is a dream you have always followed or a hobby you have recently embarked on, these easy steps will help you achieve freelance writing success.
1. Write - write every opportunity you get. You will get better at it this way. As the old saying goes, “practice, practice makes perfect!”
2. Outline – create outlines during your free time so that you can write faster when you get down to it
3. Read – read widely and improve your general knowledge, improve your creativity and give insights into what people want to read
4. Listen – great ideas are usually found in the most unlikely places; the wash room, pub gossip, elevator, dry cleaners etc
5. Watch – observe your surroundings keenly, you never know when this could lead to a “light bulb” moment
6. Use your life experiences – everyone has interesting experiences other people would love to hear about. Turn them into stories
7. Ask – consult with other writers. You may learn a thing or two
8. Teach – teach others about your profession, you tend to master a subject when you become a teacher
9. Study – improve your skills by taking classes, attending seminars and entering contests
10. Review – continually compare your past writing with your current to gauge if you are getting better
Freelance writing success is a journey. Success comes from a series of well executed actions. Each action moves you closer to your goal.
Great Freelance Writing Resources
Freelance Writer Jobs
- Elance | Outsource to freelance professionals, experts, and consultants - Get work done on Elance
Outsource to expert programmers, designers, writers, translators, marketers, researchers and admin contractors with tested skills.