The Low Down on the Lock Down Impact of Covid-19
There’s no greater fear
as a parent
your instinct is to protect
and bring put the perks
I too feel your fear
let me take it away
I never want to see you shed a tear
You are the future of tomorrow
You shouldn’t need to deal with any pain
or any sorrow
Your strength is interwoven
You are always so brave
Your maturity has proven
In your eyes they sparkle when you light them
I love the sight of your joy and happiness
it’s in your smile
that’s where it stems
it’s in the energy you avail
brings me optimism that greater good will prevail
Focus on things that we can control
The first thing we do is change our mindset. We have to manage our own time and create structure for ourselves. This is so important for all of us, but especially for our children.
Schools in particular have been identified as one of the biggest threats in terms of the transmission. The drastic step of closing schools has become necessary but still need to ensure that measures are put in place to mitigate the impact for our children.
The school closure and the world on lock down, there is only so much the kids can handle with being indoors until it turns into monotony.
It is always important to note, if we don’t keep the kids constructive or creative in some way, every few minutes you are going to hear, “I am so bored”, “there’s nothing to do” or “he started it”
The next to note, is that if we are not proactive in keeping with the curriculum and routine, they could face the possibility of being overloaded with information on the bases of catching up.
I received an interesting daily schedule to work around for the children.
My kids challenged me on coming up more ideas to fill their time. So I looked further into seeing what other form of educational activities are available.
- I found out that Amazon has cancelled subscription of books and audio stories for children and students of all ages during the school closure period, whereby they can stream a collection of stories, of different languages to aid the learning process. You may do so on your laptop, phone, or tablet.
- ABCYa is the leader in educational games from Grade Preschool through to Grade 6 with engaging math, reading, typing, logical sequence. My kids enjoy working on the range of activities. Reading for pleasure, practicing time-tables and equations which are of the utmost importance. The activities are grade appropriate and will certainly assist in revision, enhancement as well as enrichment exercises. The kids attempt the higher grade activities which I think is a plus.
- I recently tasked my children to show their poetic side and get creative, the outcome was impressive, I then posted on HubPages, my children felt so inspired by the feedback, they continue to write after their homeschool work is done.
- Some art work lessons, my kids use a scrap book, colour pens and we are all set for art class. I did get them canvas and paint, so they made some lovely art pieces for their rooms.
- Creating an indoor mini garden, keeping the kids responsible in maintaining and and see their mini garden come to life. Take empty disposable yoghurt or cupcake trays - Some potting soil - Plant seeds for your choice of flowers or herbs for cooking - Must remember to water it as required
- Maintain a daily routine as much as possible - go to bed and get up at normal times
- Don't socialise with anyone outside of your immediate family or people that share your household
- As tempting as it may be, don't spend your days on the couch eating junk food
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Drink lots of water
- Find a space at home or in the garden and exercise
- Get into the sun, as sunshine builds our immune system
- Play board games like Monopoly, Jenga, some puzzles, it stimulates the mind and create bonds with those in your household
- An interesting online interactive games I came across called "Mouthful" or "Heads-Up"
- Stay connected to people via technology such as video calls and social mediums of communication
- Amazon books and audio stories for children and students of all ages during the school closure period, link: https://stories.audible.com/start-listen
- ABCYa, the leader in educational games link: https://www.abcya.com
- The poem written by my children on HubPages, A view into a child's perception of life
© 2020 Mitara N