- Books, Literature, and Writing
What to Do When You Retire?
People ask me what do you do when you retire. I decided to write this article.
- July 2017
- I am doing some travel. When I was working, I traveled all over the world. Now, I travel for leisure and I can bring my wife and even my adult kids.
- I joined a Writer's group at our local library. We meet twice a month and share our writings. We support and help each other to be better communicators.
- I publish articles online on HubPages. So far, I have over 400 articles spanning many topics. I try to write one article a week on average.
- I decided to organize a reunion of some of my old IBM colleagues. It has been 15 years since I left IBM Research.
- I took on a charity cause to help my old Alma Mater CCNY Fencing Team. As part of this effort, I reached out to some of my college teammates. Some we had not seen in 40 years. It was a great reunion.
- I volunteer part time at the Westchester County Archives. I help them digitize some old photographs from the 1930s.
- I borrow books from our local library and read.
- I started my own personal Digital Archive project to capture some of my collections of artifacts...
- I am digitizing all my old family photo albums. I plan to capture all by individuals and groups and make copies onto USB drives to give away to family.
- I am trying to downsize. Going through my basement and other storage areas to donate stuff or throw out stuff to reduce the clutter.
- I started doing some simple woodworking like refinishing a raw wood slab table.
- I also attends a colloquium every Friday afternoon when I have time. It is held at the Lamont Doherty Observatory in Palisades, NY. A part of Columbia University earth sciences which are engaged in studying climate change.
- I manage my own retirement investments by trading in stocks and mutual funds.
- I refurbished my old bicycle and have started riding after 40 years.
- I am also singing Karaoke at home.We have an old System that plays VCDs. It still works.
- I got back into fencing after a 9 year hiatus. I joined the Fencers Club.
It just seems there is not enough hours in the day. How did I ever find the time to work 40 hours a week? Good luck finding your retirement hobby.
© 2017 Jack Lee