- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Books & Novels
Children's Books about Winter
Winter Reading for Kids
Reading is such a fundamental part of a child's development. It allows them to learn language, vocabulary, colors, numbers, shapes and builds a bond with the person with whom they are sharing the story. There are so many books out there how do you choose? Here are some of my favorite winter stories that I like to share not only with my own children but with my students. I hope that they warm your heart in the same way that they warm mine.
- The Mitten by Jan Brett A delightful story about a boy who loses a mitten as he heads outside. The adventure is not with the boy but with the fun that the mitten encounters. The mitten becomes home to many animals and as a result grows beyond it's normal size. Find out what happens on this wonderful winter adventure. This is a classic in my house!
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats The first snow has fallen and Peter can't wait to start his adventures in the snow. Readers will relate their own experience with the first fallen snow as they snuggle up and read this story. This Caldecott Medal winner is sure to warm the hearts of all who read it.
- The Snowman by Raymond Briggs A classic picture book that will delight a child of any age. This is a wordless picture book that allows a child's imagination to run wild. It will prompt a conversation with young children about what is happening in the pictures. Older children can "tell" the story to someone else and each time will be a new adventure. My children love this story because it takes on a new life each time we read it.
- Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson Poor bear doesn't realize what he is missing out on. He is in deep hibernation and party ensues in his den. One by one the animals enter his den all with different needs and wishes. All of the other animals have a fantastic time until bear wakes up! Find out what happens as bear figures out what has been going on while he was fast asleep. This is definitely a keeper!
- Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin In this fantastic story of curiosity, Wilson Bentley uses his camera to photograph snowflakes. While doing so he makes an amazing discovery. This true story of a young, Vermont farm boy is sure to inspire the curiosity in any child. This story creates a magical feeling while using science to understand nature. A great read for 8 and up.
Winter Related Hubs
- A Creative Writing Activity For Kids: Frosty Gets a New Look
Looking for a creative writing activity for your students? Here is a perfect one for the winter season complete with a rubric.
- How to create great outdoor winter fun for kids
Sometimes it's hard to get motivated to do anything when the air sends a chill to your bone. But it is just as important to keep moving in the winter as it is in the summer. Of course there are your normal...
So while you are snowed in or have to stay inside because of the sub-zero temperatures, find a great book to share with your family. There are so many to choose from and this really is just a beginning list. Make sure that you select your books before any inclement weather so that you already have them on hand. Then just pop some popcorn, curl up beside the nice, cozy fire and read until your heart's content.