Gift Ideas for Cat Mystery Book Lovers
Gift Book Baskets and Bags for Cat Lovers
Cats, books and mysteries are a natural combination. And you heard this straight from the cat's mouth. I am Star Noir, the most beautiful cat on Hummingbird Hill and I'd like to tell you about some of my lady's favorite fiction books. These lovely little mystery series all feature the most pleasing of the 4-legged ones, my species.... the cat. All are just purr-fect for curling up with my lady on a cold winter night to share a light mystery and a warm lap. Your person might enjoy them, too.
My lady, the librarian, says that books are gr-r-reat gifts for Christmas, birthday or any holiday. She likes to make book gift bags for her special friends and family. Wouldn't the cat and mystery lover on your list be surprised to receive a gift basket containing a series of books (or a gift card), a cat mug, some tea or coffee plus a pretty personalized pillow for the feline member of the family, all in an attractive, reusable cloth feline design book bag?
Once my lady and I read one book in a series, we usually want to read them all. Some of her favorite meow-valous mystery series are the works of Lilian Jackson Braun (The Cat Who... books), Miranda James (A Cat in the Stacks Mystery), Sophie Kelly (A Magical Cat Mystery) and Leann Sweeney (A Cat's in Trouble Mystery). When she reads these books (or on the little Kindle computer machine), she stays in one spot for a long time so I can snuggle up next to her for good scratches or long naps.
Cat Mystery Series Book Notes
from the desk of Star Noir, Felis catus
Why are cats so good at solving murders? Well, my little mouse, you must know that cats are curious and we are forever sticking our noses into dark cubbies and crevices. We are adept at solving the mystery of the lost toothbrush or the misplaced mouse. A feline often turns up the clue that solves the mystery. Cat detectives are the cat's meow!
The Cat Who books
by Lilian Jackson Braun
June 20, 1913 - June 4, 2011
Cat Who Series
As you can see, I enjoy the Cat Who books of Ms. Lilian Braun. I especially like the antics of that bold and brassy Siamese fellow, KoKo and the demure little, Yum Yum. James Quillerin isn't bad for a human. He's such a down to earth guy, that it's hard to believe he's a multimillionaire. Moose County has never been the same since this crime solving trio moved there.
In my opinion, the earlier books in the Cat Who series are the most entertaining. But when you realize that Lilian Jackson Braun was still writing books in her nineties, you begin to understand why.
Here is a list of the whole "marr-velous" series:
- The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (1966)
- The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (1967)
- The Cat Who Turned On and Off (1968)
- The Cat Who Saw Red (1986)
- The Cat Who Played Brahms (1987)
- The Cat Who Played Post Office (1987)
- The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare
- The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (1988)
- The Cat Who Went Underground (1989)
- The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (1990)
- The Cat Who Lived High (1990)
- The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal (1991)
- The Cat Who Moved a Mountain (1992)
- The Cat Who Wasn't There (1992)
- The Cat Who Went Into the Closet (1993)
- The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (1994)
- The Cat Who Blew the Whistle (1995)
- The Cat Who Said Cheese (1996)
- The Cat Who Tailed a Thief (1997)
- The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (1998)
- The Cat Who Saw Stars (1999)
- The Cat Who Robbed a Bank (2000)
- The Cat Who Smelled a Rat (2001)
- The Cat Who Went Up a Creek (2002)
- The Cat Who Brought Down the House (2003)
- The Cat Who Talked Turkey (2004)
- The Cat Who Went Bananas (2004)
- The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell (2006)
- The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers (2007)
- Publication Order of Short Story Collections
- The Cat Who Had 14 Tales (1988)
- Qwilleran's Short and Tall Tales (2002)
- The Private Life of the Cat Who... (2003)
The Other Cat Who Books
Here's a video about the regal Siamese kin of Ko-Ko and Yum Yum, the stars of the series.
Cats 101: Siamese Video - KoKo and Yum Yum's Kin on Animal Planet
Reusable Cloth Bags for Your Gift Book "Basket"
Beautiful, personalized cloth bags are available on several of the print-on-demand sites. A colorful cloth bag can be used as a gift bag, then later can be used again and again. Personally, Dax and I like to hide in them.
My lady designed a few featuring me (the lovely, long-haired beauty with the white star on her chest) and some of the other members of my tribe. You can add text to any of these or upload your own picture.
Star Noir by Water
Cat in the Stacks Mystery
by Miranda James
aka Dean James, Honor Hartman, & Jimmie Ruth Evans
Book 1: Murder Past Due
Murder Past Due - Book 1 of Cat in the Stacks Mysteries
Murder Past Due is the first of the Cat in the Stacks series by Miranda James. The cat in question is a very large (and handsome) male named Diesel. He has a purr that sounds like a diesel truck, vroom-vroom. Mr. Charlie, a male librarian, found him when he was scrawny kitten in the public library parking lot. Diesel turned out to be the largest cat (and only Maine Coon) in Athena, Mississippi. He helps Charlie solve murders in this small southern town. In Murder past due, the victim is a hometown hero (sort of) and an author of violent murder mysteries.
Other Cat in the Stacks Mysteries
Here are the other books of the series. They come on that Kindle machine, too.
- Murder Past Due (Aug-2010)
- Classified As Murder (May-2011)
- File M for Murder (Feb-2012)
- Out of Circulation (Feb-2013)
- The Silence of the Library (Feb-2014)
- Arsenic and Old Books (Feb-2015)
- No Cats Allowed (Feb-2016)
- Twelve Angry Librarians (Feb-2017)
- Claws for Concern (Feb-2018)
- Six Cats a Slayin'
Cats 101: Maine Coon Cats - Diesel's Kin on Animal Planet
Some people have said that they think I am a Maine Coon Cat. I think I am, because I am a big girl with long hair, little ear tufts and padded feet. I also have a lovely high pitched little voice.
Cats 101 - Maine Coon
Cat Mugs Are a Must for Tea While Reading
Sometimes my lady, Naturegirl7, likes a cup of tea when she reads a good mystery book. She has mugs with pictures of us on them. A mug and a collection of tea or coffee are great additions to a gift bag.
Magical Cats Mystery
Book 1 Curiosity Thrilled the Cat
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat Book 1 - Magical Cats Mysteries
Sofie Kelly aka young adult writer and mixed-media artist, Darlene Ryan, is the author of the Magical Cats Mysteries. Now there's no cat more special than moi, Black Star, but the kitties in this mystery series, Hercules and Owen, take special to the next level. All while giving their human companion and librarian, Kathleen Paulson, helpful clues to solve the murders. Hercules and Owen are some funny and mischievous cats. They seem to appear and disappear at will, so Kathleen has decided that they are magical.
Magical Cat Mystery Series
Here's a complete list of the Magical Cat Mystery Series:
- Curiosity Thrilled the Cat 2011
- Sleight of Paw 2011
- Copycat Killing 2012
- Cat Trick 2013
- Final Catcall 2013
- A Midwinter’s Tail 2014
- Faux Paw 2015
- Paws and Effect 2016
- A Tale of Two Kitties 2017
- The Cats Came Back 2018
- Two Tall Tails 2016 (includes one Magical Cat & one Second Chance Cat stories)
Pepper Cat Likes Reading Time... - She enjoys snuggling, too.
Cats in Trouble Mysteries
by Leeann Sweeney
Book 1 The Cat, The Quilt and the Corpse
The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse - Book 1 - Cats in Trouble Mysteries
Jillian Hart, the human, is a recent widow who makes quilts for cats. She's a nice lady and she shares her home with three cats that she rescued after Hurricane Katrina. I found my lady when I was alone and hungry after Hurricane Katrina and so did Pepper.
Merlot is a red tabby Maine coon cat who is the Ninja protector of the group. Syrah is a sorrel Abyssinian (with chocolate ticking). He's Jillian's quiet and smart top cat. Chablis is a sable point Himalayan who is allergic to humans. She always wants to be in Jillian's lap.
Cats in Trouble Mystery Series
My lady loves to make quilts and she loves those of the feline persuasion, too. If you know someone like her, then he/she would like to read more of the Cats in Trouble series.
- The Cat, The Quilt and The Corpse
- The Cat, The Professor and The Poison
- The Cat, The Lady and The Liar
- The Cat, The Wife and The Weapon
- The Cat, The Mill and The Murder
- The Cat, the Vagabond and the Victim
- The Cat, the Sneak and the Secret
- The Cat, the Collector and the Killer
Here's a delightful video about the Himalayan breed for your enjoyment.
Cats 101: Himalayan Cats - Chablis' Relatives on Animal Planet
Fluffy Pillows for Humans and Cats
I don't know about you, but I enjoy a soft pillow for my naps. My lady also likes to put one behind her head when she reads. A pretty one with a cat picture on the front would be a nice addition to the cat mystery book gift bag.
Curl Up With a Good Book!
Other Good Cat Mystery Series Gift Ideas
More Favorite Cat Mystery Series on Amazon
Here are some more good mystery series, that the cat lover on your list may enjoy.
Lydia Adamson, An Alice Nestleton Mystery
Rita Mae Brown, Mrs. Murphy Mysteries
Carol Nelson Douglas, Midnight Louie Mysteries
Rebecca M. Hale, Cats and Curios Mysteries
Dax Cat Reads
Dax is the only male cat in our tribe. He can be a bother, but I keep him in line. He also enjoys a good book, though his tastes are more... shall we say, juvenile.
© 2012 Yvonne L B