- Books, Literature, and Writing»
- Commercial & Creative Writing
100 Forgiveness Quotes to Set You Free
One of the biggest mistakes that people always indulging in is none other than holding onto resentment towards others. These negative emotions that you deposit inside you, may often for years, account for quite a lot of health problems that you might never think of. This built-up stess is the major causes of chronic diseases like heart failure, pain in the chest, migraine and etc.
Emotions like anger, hatred, blame and resentment are negative energy that build inside you and they won't just go away unless you take the initiative to let them go. The ONLY effective way to deal with them is none other to forgive and let go the person that might have hurt you in the past (and this person includes you "YOURSELF"). When you forgive, you break the bad karmic bonding between you and the wrong doer instantaneously and release it back to the universe. Take it as a big recycle bin that makes the bad into good.
Forgiving and releasing of old hurts is like doing a mental and emotional house keeping. Whether you agree or not we all need to do this from time to time because as a human, we would definitely have caused hurt to others and that also include ourselves. Perhaps, we might not notice this consciously but unconsciously there will surely something left inside us.
If you need 100 reasons to start forgiving yourself and others, pls read these quotes below:
1. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” - Mark Twain
2. "It takes a strong person to say sorry, and an ever stronger person to forgive." - Unknown
3. "Forgiving is not forgetting. It's letting go of the hurt." - Kathy
4. "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." - Mahatma Gandhi
5. "The things two people do to each other they remember. If they stay together, it's not because they forget; it's because they forgive." - Demi Moore in Indecent Proposal
6. "Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
7. "Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself." - Suzanne Somers
8. "Forgive many things in others; nothing in yourself." - Ausonius
9. "Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave." - Indira Gandhi
10. "Forgiveness is the economy of the heart... forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits." - Hannah More
11. "Forgiveness is the answer to the child's dream of a miracle by which what is broken is made whole again, what is soiled is made clean again." - Dag Hammarskjold
12. "Forgiveness is the final form of love." - Reinhold Niebuhr
13., "Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life." - George MacDonald
14. "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it. - Mark Twain
15. "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." - Gerald Jampolsky
16. "Forgiveness is the remission of sins. For it is by this that what has been lost, and was found, is saved from being lost again." - Saint Augustine
17. "Forgotten is forgiven." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
18. "Apologizing does not always mean that you are wrong and the other person is right. It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego." - Unknown
19. "I'm not perfect, I make mistakes, I hurt people, but when I say sorry, I mean it." - Unknown
20. "Forgiveness is a sign that the person who has wronged you means more to you than the wrong they have delt." - Ben Greenhalgh
21. "When you forgive, you in no way change the past - but you sure do change the future." - Bernard Meltzer
22. "How unhappy is he who cannot forgive himself." - Publilius Syrus
23. "He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself; for every man has need to be forgiven." - Thomas Fuller
24. "I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note - torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one." - Henry Ward Beecher
25. "It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend." - William Blake
26. "It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission." - Grace Hopper
27. "Life is an adventure in forgiveness." - Norman Cousins
28. "Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them." - Bruce Lee
29. "My desire is to be a forgiving, non-judgmental person." - Janine Turner
30. "Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Forgiveness by Matthew West
31. "People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what's bitter and move on." - Bill Cosby
32. "Thank you, God, for this good life and forgive us if we do not love it enough." - Garrison Keillor
33. "The ineffable joy of forgiving and being forgiven forms an ecstasy that might well arouse the envy of the gods." - Elbert Hubbard
34. "The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world." - Marianne Williamson
35. "There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love." - Bryant H. McGill
36. "There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." - Josh Billings
37. "To be social is to be forgiving." - Robert Frost
38. "To understand is to forgive, even oneself." - Alexander Chase
39. "You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well." - Lewis B. Smedes
40. "Forgiveness is the final form of love." - Reinhold Niebuhr
41. "Forgiveness is the giving, and so the receiving, of life." - George MacDonald
42. "What's done is done.. Make room for the new.. Forgive and forget.. What has been done to you." - Shanna and Nicole
43. "Whoever is forgiven much, loves much." - Luke 7:47, The Bible
44. "It's time to move forward. The past is history. You can gain more from the future if you just walk to its direction. The past is dead, the future is life, so go with it." - Raul Nieves
45. "A Christian will find it cheaper to pardon than to resent. Forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, and the waste of spirit." - Hannah More
46. "Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting." - William A. Ward
47. "The glory of Christianity is to conquer by forgiveness." - William Blake
48. "A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers." - Robert Quillen
49. "Forgiveness – so easy to believe in its value – so hard to practice." - Gary Amirault
50. "Forgiveness is the oil of relationships." - Josh McDowell
51. "To understand everything is to forgive everything” - Buddha
52. "Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.” - Oscar Wilde
53. “You are never so strong as when you forgive.” - Kimberly Converse
54. And if your friend does evil to you, say to him, ''I forgive you for what you did to me, but how can I forgive you for what you did to yourself?'' - Friedrich Nietzshe
55. “Strength of character means the ability to overcome resentment against others, to hide hurt feelings, and to forgive quickly.” - Unknown
56. “One of the secrets of a long and fruitful life is to forgive everybody everything before you go to bed” - Ann Landers
57. "“Love yourself—accept yourself—forgive yourself—and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” - Leo F. Buscaqlia
58. “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” - Lewis B. Smedes
59. “When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive” - Alan Paton
60. "The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, 'O God, forgive me,' or 'Help me.'” - Billy Graham
61. "''To forgive oneself? No, that doesn't work: we have to be forgiven. But we can only believe this is possible if we ourselves can forgive.” - Dag Hammarskjold
62. “Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on.” - Les Brown
63. “He who is devoid of the power to forgive, is devoid of the power to love.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
64. "Let us forgive each other - only then will we live in peace” - Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoy
65. "Love is an act of endless forgiveness." - Jean Vanier
66. "All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives." - Dalai Lama
67. "Marriage is three parts love and seven parts forgiveness of sins.” - Lao Tzu
68. "Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go." - Herman Hesse
69. "Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure." - Oprah Winfrey
70. "One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us." - Michael Cibenko
71. "Forgive all who have offended you, not for them, but for yourself." - Harriet Nelson
82. "Forgiveness is the needle that knows how to mend." - Jewel From her song, Under the Water
83. "Forgiveness is the oil of relationships." - Josh McDowell
84. "I could forgive the boy, now, if he'd committed a million sins!" - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Aunt Polly about Tom in Mark Twain novel.
85. "To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness." - Robert Muller
86. "People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
87. "We achieve inner health only through forgiveness - the forgiveness not only of others but also of ourselves." - Joshua Loth Liebman
88. "Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head." - Ann Landers
89. "Young men forgive, old men never." - French Proverb
90. "Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly." - Author Unknown
91. "You are forgiven for your happiness and your successes only if you generously consent to share them." - Albert Camus
92. "People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway." - Mother Teresa
93. "Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future." - Paul Boese
94. "God will forgive me. That's his job, after all." - Author Unknown
95. "It seems that most people need to experience a great deal of suffering before they will relinquish resistance and accept — before they will forgive." - Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now.
96. "I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine." - Jane Austin Elizabeth about Darcy, in Pride and Prejudice.
97. "The press is ferocious. It forgives nothing, it only hunts for mistakes . . . In my position anyone sane would have left a long time ago." - Princess Diana
98. "The Irish forgive their great men when they are safely buried." - Irish Proverb
99. "Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit." - Peter Ustinov
100. "Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom." - Madeline L'Engle
101. "Sincere forgiveness isn't colored with expectations that the other person apologize or change. Don't worry whether or not they finally understand you. Love them and release them. Life feeds back truth to people in its own way and time." - Sara Paddison
102. "Father, forgive them: for they know not what they do." - Bible, St. Luke, 23. 34.
103. "When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive." - Alan Paton
104. "Forgiveness means letting go of the past." - Gerald Jampolsky
105. "One thing you will probably remember well is any time you forgive and forget." - Franklin P. Jones
106. "To forgive is human, to forget divine." - James Grand
107. "Without forgiveness, there's no future." - Desmond Tutu
108. "Let us forgive each other - only then will we live in peace." - Leo Tolstoy
109. "There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness." - Josh Billings
110. "Without forgiveness life is governed by... an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation." - Roberto Assagioli
Forgiveness - Letting go of yourself
Forgiving with heart is the true letting go of resentment. No one should simply forgive just for the sake of forgiving. Non-genunine forgiving will stick inside you, just like the dirt that won't go away if you don't take the determination and effort to deal with it.
Have you forgiven youself yet.....?
Do you believe that forgiving is the ultimate bliss?
Join Hubpages Today!
- It pays to write. Become A Hubber Today!
Do you know that you can earn awesome monies by writing on hubpages??!