Can you tell me which one you would use in a sentence then or than?

1. profile image46
    dsandeckiposted 8 years ago

Can you tell me which one you would use in a sentence then or than?

.I want to come to your party sooner rather (than/then) later if you're not going to be too busy?  I still don't quite understand the answer to this question.  Need more answers.
    asked by dsandecki 26 minutes agoflag
    answer this question your answer...  submit answer preview answer make a hub about it ? back to question

2. Jacob Darkley profile image56
    Jacob Darkleyposted 8 years ago

Short answer: You should definitely use "than".

Longer answer:

"Than" is used when making a comparison (as you are--in this case, you're comparing "sooner" to "later").

"Then" has more meanings, listed below from

at that time: Prices were lower then.
    immediately or soon afterward: The rain stopped and then started again.
    next in order of time: We ate, then we started home.
    at the same time: At first the water seemed blue, then gray.
    next in order of place: Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother.
    in addition; besides; also: I love my job, and then it pays so well.
    in that case; as a consequence; in those circumstances: If you're sick, then you should stay in bed.
    since that is so; as it appears; therefore: You have, then, found the mistake? You are leaving tonight then.

being; being such; existing or being at the time indicated: the then prime minister.

that time: We have not been back since then. Till then, farewell.

I hope this helps.

3. ddsurfsca profile image75
    ddsurfscaposted 7 years ago

To my knowledge and understanding, then is used when talking about a time, example-- it's either then or now.
    the word than, is used when referring to a comparison, example,  this coffee is better than yours.