When writing a short story do you develop the characters first or the plot?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. nataliemarie71 profile image60
    nataliemarie71posted 13 years ago

When writing a short story do you develop the characters first or the plot?

2. profile image0
    cyekin_37posted 13 years ago

When I do write a short story, I tend to develop what is going to happen, then I create the characters that fit the part I'd want them to play in the story smile

It all tends to flow well after everything falls into place. The fun part is to name the characters you've created tongue

3. foumenlj profile image61
    foumenljposted 13 years ago

Interesting question. I think it depends of several factors. I'll briefly focus on the plot at first but I'll make sure that I develop the characters in the same time.

4. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

There's no right and wrong way to approach this - each wrtier has to experiment (by writing regularly) to discover what works for them.

With me, any story can be inspired by a character or a plot idea, or even a mood or some snippet of convesation I've overheard.

5. MickS profile image60
    MickSposted 13 years ago

A short story really only needs one in depth character, maybe a sidekick as well, slightly less rounded, any other characters, and there shouldn't be many, are only there to carry the story along, they don't need much work.
    You can have a great character pop into your head and you work out a story to fit the character.  Or it can work out the other way, a great plot, and think, mmm, now, who is going to tell that story, it doesn't really matter which way you proceed.

6. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 13 years ago

This is a difficult question, as I do a little bit of both. Allow me to explain ...

Sometimes I come up with an interesting character and hold onto them until I find a plot they can partake in, but more often than not it's the plot that comes first.

The best answer to this question is that the plot should come first, as it is far more difficult to write a plot around a character than it is to write a character around a plot. The exception to this rule is a continuing series, as the character is then already developed and the new plot is created to draw upon the strengths and weaknesses of this character,

Once you have your plot drawn up you will need a main character ... a hero of types, so to speak. To make your story read well, your character needs strengths and weaknesses that will make their task difficult - but not impossible.

Remember ... every character has strengths and weaknesses, just like us, and those need to weave into the plot in such a way that the story often establishes the character through his or her needs.

Again, you can develop the character first, but be prepared for a bumpy ride as it's a lot of work to revolve a story around a character. And yet, J.K Rowling does this aptly well in the Harry Potter series. However, in the first book of the series, the plot created Harry.

So my answer to you is to create your plot and then when you finish that ... create a character that your plot will challenge until the end.

I hope that helps. smile

7. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

Good Day nataliemarie71

My approach is to try to establish rhythm, the flow of words. I tend to view any work of fiction I approach as an ocean from which all "life" of a particular narrative will spring. You know how all life sprang from the sea?

This is the approach I have found "works" for me. I used to struggle of questions just like the one you posed. But this is why it is so important to be a prolific reader, to be successful as a fiction writer. By reading you learn, you begin to figure out the methods and techniques that you like and don't like.

I am inspired, stylistically, by John Grisham, Mario Puzo (he is the most elegant stylist), Elmore Leonard, Philip K. Dick, Richard Wright, and Philip Roth. Armed with this, I tend to just sit down in front of the computer and start typing and see what comes up.

I find that whatever I write quickly is always better than anything I take too much time with, second guessing myself, and all the rest of it. I don't use outlines or anything like that. I'm not saying outlines aren't helpful. It depends on the individual.

My approach is to say: If I struggle to write it, you, the reader, will struggle to read it. Personally, I can forgive a lot if the writer is a good prose stylist. I am tempted to say that good style actually negates the possibility of certain weaknesses arise.

Anyway, for me, its not a question of 'characters' or 'plot' first. I just start with an idea.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)