jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

What are some good young adult/teen books (not Sci-Fi or fantasy)?

1. kaltopsyd profile image80
    kaltopsydposted 7 years ago

What are some good young adult/teen books (not Sci-Fi or fantasy)?

2. 5institutes profile image65
    5institutesposted 7 years ago

Anything by G.K. Chesterton, and you might like the collections of essays by C.S. Lewis (non-fiction/fantasy, very good, like: The Abolition of Man).

The Little House on the Prairie and other books in the series.

Anything by G.A. Henty (Civil War era fiction)

To Kill a Mockingbird

Lord of the Flies

Shakespeare

Sr. Conan Doyle's "Sherlock Holmes" series

Levi's Will (one of my favorites)

And most anything by Roal Dahl (the man behind Willie Wonka, not quite fantasy, just great reading!...unless you read "The Witches" of course...)

3. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 7 years ago

a book called The silver sword also I am David, both I remember as very moving stories , not sure who wrote them , they were set in wartime . Also Ann Franks diaries.

4. SteveoMc profile image74
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

My son loved this book so much he read it 3 or 4 times:  White Clam, it is a book about the early times of Settlement in the Puget Sound,  he was taken captive by an indian tribe and became their slave.  His adventure and eventual escape is a wonderful story.

5. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

For slightly more morbid stories I'd definitely recommend Robert Cormier...though the content of his stories makes them for about mid-teens, much younger would either end up with nightmares or not grasp what he's trying to say. Margaret Peterson Haddix's Shadow Child books are great as well, and Cynthia Voigt's books are great. For girls, Megan McCafferty's books are also pretty engaging, even for a tomboy like me smile. Here are some of my reviews on these books (please forgive the rough writing on some of them, I wrote them when I was a teenager myself):

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Solitary-Blue … ook-Review
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Sloppy-Firsts-b … ook-Review
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Among-the-Hidde … son-Haddix

I have a few other reviews of Haddix's books, and several others scattered in there that are geared toward pre-teen to teenage readers...just be sure to look in the group that's just "Book Reviews" since my "Children's Book Reviews" are all for the single-digit set.

6. JacobYeager profile image59
    JacobYeagerposted 7 years ago

The Perks Of Being a Wallflower. By Steven Chobosky.

7. Agatha Pearl profile image54
    Agatha Pearlposted 7 years ago

SPEAK by Laurie Halse Anderson. This book is about a young girl going into high school. Over the summer she and her friends attend an older high school party and one of them is assaulted. It's about how she deals with the solitude of being outcasted due to the decisions she makes to keep that assault quiet.

8. sammyfiction profile image59
    sammyfictionposted 7 years ago

This may be a tad fantasy based, but I love it and the style.

House of Night (series); by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast.

I only have 7 of 8 books as the latest one isn't out yet, and I can not wait!

Its about a teenager - zoey redbird - that has been 'marked' to become a vampire and has to attend a school to learn the ways of them, otherwise she'll die! and there's plenty of love interests for her, mystery, bullying, magic, legends/myths, and friendship.

Its a good read..no, great read! smile

big_smile

9. home witch profile image81
    home witchposted 7 years ago

Daddy Long Legs - this is an all time classic. Also, The Little White Horse.

10. JessieLong8208 profile image77
    JessieLong8208posted 3 years ago

One of the best books I have read in a while that was not Sci-Fi or Fantasy had to be 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

Here is the novel's site:

http://www.thirteenreasonswhy.com/

It is about a boy who receives a mysterious package. It contains tapes that were recorded by a girl in his class who recently committed suicide. He finds out that there are 13 reasons why, and the only people that these tapes were to be sent to were the 13 that the girl listed.

AMAZING READ!!

working