jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What are the hazards, if any in your opinion, of adapting a novel to film?

1. wingedcentaur profile image82
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

What are the hazards, if any in your opinion, of adapting a novel to film?

2. Mom Kat profile image81
    Mom Katposted 7 years ago

the movie is never the same as the book.
    I've always been disapointed when I watch a movie after reading the book first.  I've almost entirely stopped watching movies of books I've read because of this.
    You just can't compair someone else's "vision" against your own imagination I guess...
    Not to mention they leave out parts most of the time because of time constraints.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 7 years ago

I've seen some good novel to movie adaptations, but even when hollywood gets it right, you are still likely to lose something in the mix. With a book you can take the time to give the little details, things that enrich the world and draw the reader in. But with a movie it's all business, you have to get that main storyline out within a two hour time limit (usually). The best example is peeves from the harry potter novels. He was a prankster ghost who showed up in nearly every book, but he was cut from all of the movies because he didn't serve any of the stories directly. So, in my opinion, that's the biggest loss when adapting a novel to a movie; the little details that draw you into the world.

4. ahorseback profile image60
    ahorsebackposted 7 years ago

Too many times the true intent of the novel are lost in some part into the film

5. parrster profile image83
    parrsterposted 7 years ago

Personally, from my experience as a reader and movie viewer - disappointment; I have yet to come across a movie that portrayed the novel in quite the way I imagined it -and my imagination always proved the better version. The wonder of books is that they allow the imagination to interpret and visualise. A movie, as a visual medium, robs us of that privilege, and therefore is likely to disappoint the individual. It is very unlikely that the Director imagined the novel in quite the same way as we did.

6. katyzzz profile image59
    katyzzzposted 7 years ago

I think what is needed is the ability to adapt a descriptive style, which can take a great number of words to a visual image which can provide much the same material instantly.

The photography becomes of paramount importance and the dialogue greatly condensed.

A picture is worth a thousand words

7. wonderingwoolley profile image56
    wonderingwoolleyposted 6 years ago

I would say loss of plot and character lines due to time constraints. Also some things can only be described, and never replicated on film, they are for the imagination only. I love to use my imagination when reading a book, and a movie takes that away from me, and taints how I envision the book.