jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Welcome to HubPages! How did you become so interested in the writing craft?

1. lorlie6 profile image83
    lorlie6posted 7 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!  How did you become so interested in the writing craft?

2. kalixao profile image60
    kalixaoposted 7 years ago

I grew up with an autistic syndrome and was encouraged to use writing to help with certain language difficulties and connecting inter-personally. The syndrome did in fact resolve, so I pursued literary criticism and creative writing in college and beyond. I eventually took a doctorate in linguistics and opened a publishing company of my own.

3. rachelthorn profile image55
    rachelthornposted 7 years ago

I became interested in the writing craft when I was in 5th grade. My best friend and I wrote a fan fiction story about *NSYNC. Its embarrassing now that I talk about it. It was long enough to be a novel. Then after that, I started writing poetry in high school to get all of my feelings out on paper (I suffer from depression). I still write poetry but I prefer to write novels because I get to create characters and it takes longer to write. I can write a poem in five minutes without much thought but I like the process of actually outlining a novel.

4. mafecrv profile image56
    mafecrvposted 7 years ago

During my stay in college. I always find myself surrounded with tons of paper works and research tasks. I thought writing is fun, though stressful at times.

5. surefire profile image73
    surefireposted 5 years ago

I have been writing since my childhood. I used to write small articles and stories for the children's sections of magazines and newspapers. Then I got a prize for writing a small piece - it was a book and I still remember its name "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. I think it was this trigger for me to continue writing. With time my articles were published in well-known magazines and newspapers. For some time I was a stringer for a paper also.

This was before the Internet came along. Here I found that you can write almost on any subject and get published. And there were no constraints like in the print media where you were not sure if your work will be accepted. Of course, here also your articles are moderated and reviewed but I find that getting published on Internet and getting paid for it is easier and more rewarding as your work continues to earn you something once it has been published as on HubPages.