jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How can someone get the desire to write again?

1. DStettler profile image61
    DStettlerposted 7 years ago

How can someone get the desire to write again?

Lately I have just not felt like writing, I tried to force myself to but it only made me not want to more. Any suggestions on how to snap out of it?

2. eilander1542011 profile image61
    eilander1542011posted 7 years ago

My condolences friend, as a writer there is nothing worse than spiritual writer's block - as I call it. My first suggestion is to read. I have discovered that reading - especially writings by one's favorite authors, or somebody that you look up to - can help get you back in the mood to write again. When choosing what to read, it seems helpful if you can find something that is similar to what you would like to write, whether it be the same form, topic, style, ideals or whatever. Remember, if you want to write poetry but get an itching to write a novel, don't stop yourself. You may find that once you get writing anything again your inspiration will find its way back to you.
    Also try not to concentrate too heavily on one project or one style/form of writing. Mix it up so you can keep your mind and skills fresh. Try getting an online journalism gig, it will give you a completely different angle to write from and allow you to circumvent writer's block more easily.

3. starvagrant profile image74
    starvagrantposted 7 years ago

Depending on what kind of writer you are, I'd offer one of two suggestions. One is to find subject matter to inspire you. If you go out looking for inspiration you will find it. Some people have the view that inspiration "just happens". This is fundamentally mistaken. Only the rarest of inspirations come without work. You may have to give yourself time to rediscover your creativity.

On the other hand, I have a friend that keeps talking about how he'd like to write, he just never seems to get around it. At the risk of being overly simplistic the answer is: JUST GET UP AND DO IT. I know you've said forcing things doesn't seem to help. But just exactly how have you been "forcing things"? Have you sat and stared at a blank screen with nothing to write about? (if so, see answer one). Many writing magazines and websites have writing prompts. Have you been doing any of those? If not do a few that look interesting. As a writer that will never stop writing, I can't think of anything that would make you want to be a writer again than the rewards of actually writing.

So in the end the final answer is don't give up. You can't sit around waiting for the desire to happen. You've got to take some action. There are many ways to jump start your inner writer. Try something new.

4. Nayothara profile image62
    Nayotharaposted 7 years ago

Writing comes in different ways to different people. I am not a writer, but as you can see I write lol. And simply I write what ever comes to my mind. And my mind is always busy and I only sit and write when I really feel WOW I should share this! lol And of cause Desire comes in ever where.. Look around, listen, dream, find, and most of all READ! everything can put in writing. For me it is amazing to write something that I might upset some people. lol Because sometimes truth hurts ~~ Also I LOVE writing something to open up eyes of some people. And people who wants to be regretful of their life and live it well and add good qualities in each THIS MOMENTS! See I just gave some time to answer you.. LIKE THAT! So we write... Aren't we... smile

Closed to reply