jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Both he and I are majoring in business are this a correct pronounn?

1. profile image49
    donisha2011posted 7 years ago

Both he and I are majoring in business are this a correct pronounn?

2. peterxdunn profile image60
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

Try:

'Both he and I are majoring in business,' - (two clauses) is (not are) this the correct usage of the pronoun 'I'?

Or maybe:

We are both - he (alternatively - him) and I (alternatively - me) - majoring in business.

3. tinaweha profile image66
    tinawehaposted 7 years ago

Yes.

"Both he and I are majoring in business."  This is how we say it in the states.  I'm no grammar teacher but it might be easier to say:

He and I are majoring in business.

I think you could say "The two people majoring in business are he and I."  sounds weird but it's one of those "is, be, being" situations.  Anyone who wants to correct me, that would be fine.

4. seicheprey profile image60
    seichepreyposted 6 years ago

When you're unsure about whether or not to use 'I' or 'me' just run the sentence through your head: Both he and I are majoring in business.  Take the first pronoun out and change the verb to match the remaining pronoun: I am majoring in business. 

So: Both he and me are majoring in business.
          Me is majoring in business...just doesn't sound right.

Both he and I are majoring in business.
          I am majoring in business.

So, long version short, sound it out in your head before speaking it or writing it.

5. Leanna McCarthy profile image69
    Leanna McCarthyposted 6 years ago

We are both majoring in business.

"He and I are" sounds alright but I don't think it's correct. When you take the other person out of the sentence it should still be correct. I are majoring doesn't work.

working